General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User diputs36
(learned) Sat 26-May-18 21:02:50
Print Post

BT to RJ11 cable upgrade advice

[link to this post]

My telephone is a Panasonic DECT with answerphone, and the cable between base unit and wall socket is flat. I have recently moved to VDSL2 with a modest sync for distance to PCP, and a test suggests local interference.

Is it possible to upgrade the existing cable, even say to cat5e, and might have some beneficial effect? Please!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 26-May-18 21:15:18
Print Post

Re: BT to RJ11 cable upgrade advice

[re: diputs36] [link to this post]

Changing the cable to the DECT base station will have no impact.

What are your modems statistics? i.e. connection speed, attenuation and noise margin and expected distance to cabinet

If sync is low, first thing to do is check again at the test socket which should disable all extension wiring

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-May-18 21:54:30
Print Post

Ideally your router/modem should be attached to the master socket which should have a filtered faceplate.
If the master socket is a more modern one with an internal test socket then, if you don't already have one, you can buy a filtered faceplate from the likes of Solwise or ebay.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-May-18 22:37:50
Print Post

You donít describe a filter on the phone connection .. is there one ?

Standard User diputs36
(learned) Sun 27-May-18 12:45:56
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Oh dear, I omitted some important info from the OP.

I had a SSFP upstairs fitted to what was a hard wired extension adjacent to my computer, and the old master was relegated to an extension. The base unit is now working from the phone socket of the SSFP. The slave is downstairs, only requiring a power supply. For domestic convenience it'd be better the base and slave were exchanged. I hope that clears the matter of extensions.
Stats
S

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB): 26.5 0.0
Connection speed (kbps): 25609 4771
SNR margin (dB): 3.3 6.1
Power (dBm): 12.0 6.3
Interleave depth: 4 1
INP: 49.00 0
G.INP: Enabled Not enabled

Distance from PCP ISP says 1045m, BTOR test 1060m.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-May-18 14:15:00
Print Post

Low downstream SNR, maybe the router doesnít run so well when itís low.

Or maybe itís indicative of the issue .. so if retested at the true master it might be back up at 6db again ?

Standard User diputs36
(learned) Sun 27-May-18 15:44:50
Print Post

I'm on a Huawei cab and G-INP is enabled, hence 3 dB attenuation. Tests were at SSFP which is the true master. Working @ 6dB would be even slower.

Router is Billion 8800NL v.1. and runs better than ISP offering.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-May-18 17:13:36
Print Post

But a 3db profile is going to produce, unless you are on a stupidly short line, an increased error count .. maybe even looking like interference.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 27-May-18 17:27:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by diputs36:
Distance from PCP ISP says 1045m, BTOR test 1060m.
So where did the 120m come from?
In reply to a post by diputs36:
Copper Line:
DP Line Length Estimate: 2725 Metres
DN Line Length Estimate: 2818 Metres

2818-2725 = 93 cannot be to anywhere near me, as later test on fibre indicates PCP to premises is ~1000m.
From what I am informed is my DP is according to Google Maps about 120m.
Have you moved house since 7 May?

Also "For domestic convenience it'd be better the base and slave were exchanged". Do you mean it would be better now to swap them back, which is what that says, or do you mean "it was better", which is why you had it done?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70370/12780Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 27-May-18 18:16:06
Print Post

NOTE 3dB margins are not confined to working well on short lines, it can improve speeds on longer lines.

So we are back to trying to understand what this report of noise is from? It seems possible it is a mis-interpretation of the low noise margin.

So what are the actual problems with the connection, rather than the potential diagnosis of the fault.

NOTE: A 6dB margin would be a lower sync but if high errors are happening on a 3dB margin then the DLM would usually back the margin off, i.e. DLM usually only lets the 3dB margin stay if things look very good.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to