General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Jun-18 22:56:47
Print Post

Re: TV hijacking

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
The Plusnet router itself makes regular checks for updates, we trust that the firmware has not been compromised in some way

One has the option to switch to some other router if one wishes... you only need to know the login details and (fortunately, on Plus.Net) they're easily found via the members portal.

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 14-Jun-18 00:00:31
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ultra:
One has the option to switch to some other router if one wishes... you only need to know the login details and (fortunately, on Plus.Net) they're easily found via the members portal.
Or in the information they post out to you on joining smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71307/12780Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Jun-18 03:21:54
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ultra:
In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
The Plusnet router itself makes regular checks for updates, we trust that the firmware has not been compromised in some way

In which case say you choose a Linksys, Netgear or a Cisco device, they all check for updates automatically now, again we trust the firmware has not been compromised in some way. Disabling this feature can be achieved, at which point you potentially expose yourself to a security vulnerability if you miss the latest firmware.

Point stands, most of our devices check for updates automatically, the risk here is minimal although yes a determined attacker can attempt a number of measures, for a standard home-user the risk is negligible.

Replacement of a device to avoid security updates by the application vendor is counterproductive since 1. It exposes you to security vulnerabilities and 2. It costs an amount of money to replace.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Thu 14-Jun-18 12:41:55
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks again for all the info, I posted on the Plusnet forum re updating my PN router and Bob on support pushed me a firmware update within 24 hours. I was thinking everything was sorted as far as could be sorted, then I remembered that I bought the TV from Dixons, and Dixons have admitted that hackers have accessed the details of 5.9 million customers ... ever get the feeling that you just can't win? frown
Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Thu 14-Jun-18 13:00:22
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

If you got your TV from Dixons, then don't worry as they went bust in 2014. If you had got it from PC World (they took over from Dixons demise) then that's another matter, but either way it's not going to effect the TV.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Jun-18 21:26:24
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

You will find Dixon retail went bust.....

http://www.dixonscarphone.com

Is alive and well smile

Just a play on names.

But as you say. Where you buy a TV from is not a issue.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
(committed) Fri 15-Jun-18 09:57:41
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JohnR:

http://www.dixonscarphone.com

Is alive and well smile

Just a play on names.

But as you say. Where you buy a TV from is not a issue.

https://www.cnet.com/news/dixons-disappears-as-dixon...

The link reports when Dixons went bye byes. Carphone Warehouse resurrected the name, but not the company. You could say the modern version of Dixons is the PC World stores, which trades under the name DSG Retail Limited. The DSG stems from the days of Dixons.

Edited by robertcrowther (Fri 15-Jun-18 10:06:43)

Standard User richi
(member) Sat 16-Jun-18 12:01:38
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JohnR:
At the risk of epic thread drift, nobody went bust. Dixons bought Currys, then bought PC World, then merged with Carphone.

At several points, the company rationalised its consumer-facing brands, eliminating duplication. One of these moments was when they retired the high-street Dixons brand. Initially, the shops became Currys. The Dixons brand was retained for the online arm for a while, and also as duty-free shops. Latterly of course, everything became "Currys PC World."

(Things are different again in the Republic of Ireland.)

</drift>

3 km line on THTG: 17/1.2 Mb/s with Plusnet Business.
Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8, Sky.
(committed) Sat 16-Jun-18 12:10:28
Print Post

[re: richi] [link to this post]

PC World and Dixons Carphone Wharehouse trade under two different company names despite the merger. In a normal merger only one company remains, but in this case it wasn't as Dixons had already called in the Administrators before the merger and therefore it technichly went bust.

PC World = DSG Retail Limited
Dixons Carphone Warehouse = Dixons Carphone plc

Edited by robertcrowther (Sat 16-Jun-18 12:15:41)

Standard User richi
(member) Sun 17-Jun-18 09:25:10
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

You're talking about Dixons Retail plc? As far as I recall, the Carphone merger was reported at the time as "of equals," and Dixons was profitable.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Dutch retailer of the same name?

3 km line on THTG: 17/1.2 Mb/s with Plusnet Business.
Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8, Sky.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to