General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User alwall
(member) Tue 29-May-18 14:06:52
Print Post

Ofcom consults on changes for access to emergency services

[link to this post]

From news item on TBB Homepage Ofcom consults on changes for access to emergency services

If you are concerned about the proposed requirement for only 1 hour battery backup for non exchange-powered voice services please consider responding to the Ofcom Consultation (PDF)

Some interesting recent history on a major power failure and also the excellent report by the Royal Academy of Engineering (pdf)

BTBroadband
Standard User alwall
(member) Tue 29-May-18 14:09:48
Print Post

Re: Ofcom consults on changes for access to emergency servic

[re: alwall] [link to this post]

It should be pointed out that many mobile phone cellular base sites have little resilience in the event of a major mains outage

BTBroadband
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Tue 29-May-18 14:58:43
Print Post

So far on the power cuts I've had in the last year, which as been many compared to the previous decade, my mobile phone as always worked.

I've noticed on the FTTP setup they already have a 1 hour battery backup. I wonder in future if they could introduce longer lasting batteries, which would be easy to upgrade.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-May-18 15:05:11
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

Current rules allow for the 1 hour in full fibre areas where no copper fixed line solution.

The consultation is about making sure those used to phones working during power cuts are catered for when things move to voice over broadband for millions

One presumes Ofcom has talked to other EU regulators to see what they do e.g. Spain has masses more full fibre only

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User alwall
(member) Tue 29-May-18 15:18:53
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

Well indeed. A sealed lead acid battery as an option perhaps?
The Lancaster experience concerns me

BTBroadband
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-May-18 15:27:15
Print Post

How many people have old style phones that work when power fails? Compared to the modern all in one answer phone etc, that cease to work when power fails.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User alwall
(member) Tue 29-May-18 15:31:57
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

I keep one for just such an emergency, but I used to engineer resilient radio comms systems smile

BTBroadband
Standard User BranH
(newbie) Tue 29-May-18 16:53:34
Print Post

Although we primarily have DECT phones, we have a wired one we can plug in when there's no power. The last few months scottish power doing maintenance have taken the power off for 8 hours roughly one day per month, so 1 hour would have been little use. I've already responded to that effect.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-May-18 19:58:19
Print Post

Thanks, I'll reach out to them with my approval and the hope they'll expedite the process and allow the PSTN to be switched off and the copper replaced with full fibre ASAP.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-May-18 20:10:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Current rules allow for the 1 hour in full fibre areas where no copper fixed line solution.

At the moment I have an unused copper landline as I have a Gigaclear fibre connection which I use for VOIP calls. If BT discontinue this line would either BT or Gigaclear be forced to provide an alternative?

(or will I just be like the 65% of the population who don't have a landline at home.)

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to