General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-May-18 21:03:21
Print Post

Re: Ofcom consults on changes for access to emergency servic

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

65% without a landline?

If you pay for a voice line, then if its WLR3 when WLR3 ends it will become a voice over broadband service, and at that point you may or may not get a battery backup to run the broadband modem and ATA. The consultation is about whether this is a FORCED TO SUPPLY or only for those identified as vulnerable, e.g. no access to mobile and/or other factors

An unused copper line has no obligations on it.

If you take voice via Vonage and Gigaclear is promoting it as the voice service then under the consultation there is the question should providers in that scenario be made to offer battery backup for ONT and any active hardware they have.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-May-18 22:06:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

65% without a landline?

... was the bit I questioned too . 65% donít use a landline for voice service, that I could believe.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-May-18 23:40:27
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Only 65% of people have landlines at home is what I should have said.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alwall
(member) Wed 30-May-18 08:31:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
Only 65% of people have landlines at home is what I should have said.

In 2017 the figure was 89% of households

BTBroadband
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Wed 30-May-18 09:12:09
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

Hi

Exactly, all my family for one have DECT phones and I know for a fact they have no backup hard wire phone, or if they did, finding it quickly in an emergency would be next to impossible.

DECT phones should have had a mandatory power backup device. I do remember getting one of the first Philips DECT phones and that came with a battery power pack that could be fitted in line with the DC cord for backup. There are some DECT phones that will back power from the handset in the event of a power cut, this means speaker phone only as the handset needs to be on the base station, or using another handset if you have more than one, but a good solution. Of course these solutions don't help on the move to VoIP.

The best thing they can do is standardise on the DC voltage for routers, modems and VoIP adaptors or phones, which seems to be already 12 volts for most equipment, but ensure they work from 14 volts down to 10 volts, which should be easy given they all have internal DC-DC converters to power the electronics on something a lot less.

This would then make it very easy to have a UPS but without the unnecessary up conversion to 240volts to just be converted back down again. It would make them much cheaper and smaller, so a sealed lead acid battery and a switch mode power supply supplying 14 volts and enough amps as required which charges the battery and powers the devices, on a power cut the battery just picks up. This does away with separate power bricks so neater for the consumer, and it would cost nothing to add a couple of USB ports for charging a mobile or tablet for access to the internet. In a real extended emergency or power outage, the consumer could plug in their car battery, or recharge the battery from their electric car, whilst it still had power of course, or top up the battery using a solar panel.

Regards

Phil
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-May-18 12:08:42
Print Post

[re: alwall] [link to this post]

The 65% comes from the Ofcom consultation supporting documents. and I perhaps should have included 'for making calls'. It is also a survey of people rather than households.

Michael Chare
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 30-May-18 12:34:32
Print Post

I never use my landline phone to make calls, but receive legitimate ones every month. How do I fit wrt the 65%/35%?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70370/12780Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-May-18 12:34:53
Print Post

Which actual document and table/page/figure

In a survey a lot hinges on the question, so 65% of those surveyed (probably 2000 to 4000 people) did say about making calls, but likely many more have a phone plugged in, maybe to receive calls or just for that rare once in a lifetime emergency.

Ofcom should know how many WLR3 and MPF lines exist, plus numbers of full fibre lines with some voice service.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-May-18 15:02:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Which actual document and table/page/figure

First supporting document on this page.

Column 1 on 2nd page called Page 1

Michael Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-May-18 15:08:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I never use my landline phone to make calls, but receive legitimate ones every month. How do I fit wrt the 65%/35%?
Presumable has you have a landline which you could use you fall into the 65% It appears that the older you are the more liklely you are to have a line to do this. smile

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to