General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User helpoort
(committed) Thu 07-Jun-18 16:25:22
Print Post

Always something NEW

[link to this post]

Telephone call today.
Informing me my Internet connection is going to be cut off.
Because my internet connection has been comprised world wide.
PRESS ONE.
OH! Dear!!!!!!!

Edited by helpoort (Thu 07-Jun-18 16:26:04)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Jun-18 17:19:01
Print Post

Re: Always something NEW

[re: helpoort] [link to this post]

Now new, this one has been doing the rounds for a while, i.e. a variation on the scam calls to get people to install remote desktop software so that malware can be side loaded.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ironman12345
(member) Thu 07-Jun-18 19:35:12
Print Post

Did you "PRESS ONE" ?
Hope not.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Jun-18 22:47:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Now new, this one has been doing the rounds for a while, i.e. a variation on the scam calls to get people to install remote desktop software so that malware can be side loaded.

I have had these calls twice now over the last year and a half, both basically say they are turning off our connection.

Both of them have gotten very verbally abusive and then hang up when I said that their number isn't a BT one and that I worked for BT (not that I do), plus both of these have called on our landline and BT always phone on my Mobile due to its down as the first line of contact.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 07-Jun-18 22:56:49
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

I have had these calls twice now over the last year and a half, both basically say they are turning off our connection.
I've had a couple in the last month or so... they're using pre-recorded announcements now frown

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Jun-18 23:02:51
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
I've had a couple in the last month or so... they're using pre-recorded announcements now frown

Either way I will just hang up on them if they phone our landline, due to BT knows not to phone that number.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User Robin1989
(newbie) Thu 07-Jun-18 23:10:48
Print Post

I love getting these types of calls - I just turn it into a game of trying to keep them on the longest and annoy them. I've even once nearly had one of them cry on me - was great.

the other week I got a scam call pretending to be from the same bank I work for whilst I was in work and they obviously thought I was lying so when I asked them for there name for me to look up in the directory they started getting very demanding when I could not find it and i began questioning them what they were doing passing my phone to a colleague to say they are from the our fraud department at which point they quickly said sorry and hung up.
Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 07-Jun-18 23:15:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Either way I will just hang up on them ...
I never hang up on them... I wait for them to hang up on me. They're paying for the call after all smile

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Jun-18 23:15:36
Print Post

Same here with two in the last couple of weeks.

To which I can also add two phone calls, both times allegedly from detectives from Hammersmith nick, number withheld, who tried to tell me that my credit card had been skimmed and just been used in Covent Garden. Didn't hear the rest of what was clearly a fake call as I gave him an earful and hung up. Oh, the first one said that if I wanted to confirm his identity I should ring 999. What planet do some of these morons come from? If there were problems with my card I know from experience that my bank will contact me rather than a someone poorly attempting to spoof a policeman especially as the only way he would know my number if he knew my name and card number would have been by first contacting my bank.

Talking of which, I needed to transfer some money last week and after going through the usual security hoops was asked to confirm that I was NOT making the transfer at the request of the police.

MM
Standard User radiomarko
(experienced) Fri 08-Jun-18 08:52:01
Print Post

Such callers, even the robots, enjoy listening to Radio 4 Extra or the net feed of the Goon Show when I put them on hold as I "transfer" them to our "IT dept". If I have a spare minute I like to discuss philosophy with them instead, or sell them double glazing as the fancy takes me wink

Then the numbers get blocked using the BT service, as BT can see the real number behind the spoofed one that I see perhaps something can be done to block before it gets to subscribers. I have seen a marked reduction in the past 6 months so it maybe so.

-.-. --.-
BT Infinity 2, HG612, Billion 7800N; 79987/19999 Kbps. Online since 1987. Macs since 1979. Dreambox fun. Advanced Radio Amateur Licence and an anorak.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to