General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User chrimbow
(committed) Sat 09-Jun-18 10:18:45
Print Post

Odd fault

[link to this post]

Apologies for the long back story...
I moved back to BT with some intrepidation a couple of years ago when fibre became available. I signed up to "option1" which was 40/10. Then we got a free upgrade to 56/10.
Next, we got a free upgrade to infinity 2 (80/20) speeds because line rental went up. Cabinet is close so I connected at 72/19. All was fine.
The contract had to be renewed recently, sales rep said we could stay on infinity 1 but would still get infinity 2 speeds due to previous upgrade.
Contract day came and surprise surprise we went back to infinity one speeds. Cutting out the numerous back and forth with sales and support the solution was we had to recontract to infinity 2 at a reduced price to get the speed back. When that kicked in we went to 53/20.
Lots more back and forth, it seemed a BT retail issue with how they set the package up.
A second openreach home visit saw us with a new card in the cab (same stunted speed) then after some wiring changes between the cab and our house we The engineer was alsended up with 70/20.
The engineer was also the local REIN guy and he identified a source of noise which he says had been causing the issue (he demonstrated this with a radio at 612 khz). which is why he altered the wiring, he said he had done something to move us away from the source. The noise source is still there, heard clearly on my car radio.
Now the question smile
How come the speed was not being affected by the REIN prior to BT retail recontracting us? Seems odd to me!

(staff) Sat 09-Jun-18 10:39:27
Print Post

Re: Odd fault

[re: chrimbow] [link to this post]

Suspect nothing to do with rein but all to do with what has or has not been ordered by Retail

The connection speed attenuation and noise margin from the various time points would hold a story if it was a noise based issue that magically appeared when the product regrade happened.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User chrimbow
(committed) Sat 09-Jun-18 22:55:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The odd thing was that the speed improvment only happened after the engineer's intervention? I'm not genned up on the wiring but I think he moved our connection, said something about the pair?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 10-Jun-18 11:05:59
Print Post

[re: chrimbow] [link to this post]

Moving you to a different pair can sometimes remove noise that is due to cross talk but could come back at any time.

Also there may have been a DLM reset that changed how the things like noise margin, G.INP and interleaving are behaving on the line

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to