General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User derekdel
(committed) Sat 09-Jun-18 22:56:35
Print Post

Gavin Patterson sacked

[link to this post]

Looks like the email address for Gavin Patterson will be changing folks......

https://www.ft.com/content/dbf4c0d8-6ae1-11e8-b6eb-4...
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Jun-18 23:42:37
Print Post

Re: Gavin Patterson sacked

[re: derekdel] [link to this post]

A better link that doesn't require a signup to view: BBC News - BT boss Gavin Patterson to step down.

But yeah, it doesn't look good for him.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Jun-18 07:58:14
Print Post

[re: derekdel] [link to this post]

I wouldn’t call that sacked TBH.

It’s not like gross misconduct is it, though the sports thing was a duff move in my book.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 15-Jun-18 07:27:43
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

you dont need gross misconduct to be sacked, its not sacked like a low level employee is typically sacked but he was forced out.

Sports in my view is a clear mistake.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User Nightglow
(member) Fri 15-Jun-18 08:20:15
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

The EE purchase was worth around £12.5 billion,& don't forget the sports rights purchase,could have bought a lot of fibre for the UK for that amount... smile

Edited by Nightglow (Fri 15-Jun-18 08:21:39)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Jun-18 09:00:06
Print Post

[re: Nightglow] [link to this post]

But as discussions here have shown, ROI for fibre will be painfully slow.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 15-Jun-18 09:07:26
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

And BT still owns EE - and that will be "money well spent". Although the previous owners must be feeling the pain with the drop in the BT share price.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 15-Jun-18 09:08:52
Print Post

[re: Nightglow] [link to this post]

I think EE may be an ok purchase, BT as a telco company needed to get back in the mobile space, the issue is I think they may have overpaid, unless they aggressively ramp up pricing its going to take a while to make that pay back.

Sports I think is a clear mistake.

Another mistake was failing to get ofcom to agree to retire copper as well as to make other wholesale regulation more favourable to the BT group, that failure is making the FTTP business case far less attractive.

BT are going to have to take some pain, FTTP is inevitable, may as well roll it out and get it over and done with, things like g.fast are just ways of delaying it, but as discovered g.fast only from cabinets is a very limited product. If they pull out of EPL sports rights, it will recover some cash flow to ease that pain.

As I said in previous posts, the shares my family owns we dont care about dividends, we dont care about short term profits, but we do care about the value of the shares. The performance has been horrific.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 15-Jun-18 09:11:46)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Jun-18 10:12:32
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

FTTP is on way, i.e. 3 million in 2020 still puts them ahead of others, suspect Virgin Media will be second at 2 million (RFOG half of Project Lightning) with Vodafone in third at 1 million.

G.fast gives a way of stopping a big loss to virgin if 100 Mbps or more becomes the default of what people buy, and if others don't stay on top of congestion it may be the clever buy in urban areas for gamers. Remember FTTP is not immune from congestion, having a Gig is brilliant for near instant downloads of Fortnite patches but if latency due to congestion is wandering around your game play means you might as well stay on the bus.

Not winning against Ofcom on several fronts was probably a decider, though a new Group CEO that pushes Openreach is actually not a popular thing, look at recent Ofcom complaints about Openreach still being steered by group.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Nightglow
(member) Fri 15-Jun-18 13:24:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
FTTP is on way, i.e. 3 million in 2020 still puts them ahead of others, suspect Virgin Media will be second at 2 million (RFOG half of Project Lightning) with Vodafone in third at 1 million.

G.fast gives a way of stopping a big loss to virgin if 100 Mbps or more becomes the default of what people buy, and if others don't stay on top of congestion it may be the clever buy in urban areas for gamers. Remember FTTP is not immune from congestion, having a Gig is brilliant for near instant downloads of Fortnite patches but if latency due to congestion is wandering around your game play means you might as well stay on the bus.

Not winning against Ofcom on several fronts was probably a decider, though a new Group CEO that pushes Openreach is actually not a popular thing, look at recent Ofcom complaints about Openreach still being steered by group.

G.Fast still waiting for it to go live at my cab (installed summer last year) here in Bath, & this city was a G FAst trial area,total joke.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to