General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Jun-18 23:37:48
Print Post

BT66B replacement

[link to this post]

I was looking inside my BT66B today and it is extremely rusted due to water ingress.

If I called Openreach would it get replaced with the same unit or is there a more modern equivalent? Also what is their mechanism of joining the cables together these days, would they use jelly wire connectors inside instead of the old terminal blocks?

I could do with getting it moved a bit so am tempted to pay Openreach to move it, but I'd rather ask them to fit what they see appropriate all at the same time then it is done and dusted.

Ta smile

ZeN Fibre Unlimited 2
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Jun-18 06:02:39
Print Post

Re: BT66B replacement

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Nope, they still use the BT66.

What they don’t use, and haven’t for many years, is the brass screw terminals inside.
As you correctly say, these should/would be replaced with gel crimps.

Standard User kevindb
(regular) Wed 13-Jun-18 22:34:15
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Courtesy of a new line install I've just had an external NTE replace by... a bt66b. 2 days ago.

Engineer couldn't get into the XNTE, said it had been done up too tight and now the screw wasn't unscrewing.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 13-Jun-18 23:58:59
Print Post

[re: kevindb] [link to this post]

The XNTE was an utterly stupid concept in the first place. Didn't they stop installing those in a relatively short time after their introduction?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71307/12780Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Jun-18 05:53:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That’s correct Bob. Useless damn things.

They should always be crimped through or replaced during a provision or repair visit.

Very common for the external screw to rust up making them inaccessible except via what my father used to call a ‘Birmingham screwdriver’.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 14-Jun-18 09:34:44
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
... via what my father used to call a ‘Birmingham screwdriver’.
That was a term my father used as well, and he was from a Manchester smile. I still use it at times.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71307/12780Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User KelvinBridge
(regular) Thu 14-Jun-18 16:21:14
Print Post

After looking up 'Birmingham screwdriver ' I found this alternative Urban term >
Percussive Maintenance
The fine art of bludgeoning an electronic device in order to encourage it to work properly. Vigorous usage of this technique often renders said device permanently nonfunctional.
My beloved monitor was flickering until I used some percussive maintenance; now it's totally dead and Help Desk is bringing me a new one. !!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Jun-18 17:58:21
Print Post

[re: KelvinBridge] [link to this post]

.... also called ‘the persuader’ by my forman back in the day.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 14-Jun-18 19:54:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
... via what my father used to call a ‘Birmingham screwdriver’.
That was a term my father used as well, and he was from a Manchester smile. I still use it at times.

And in W London too! I have a set in various types - plastic, rubber, nylon, steel and in weights from 4oz all the way up to 14lb!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Jun-18 13:21:46
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

14lb, that was titled a ‘lump hammer’ by Bonzo my old forman.

He had been ‘at it’ since he left school, his first job was cycling back and forth to a blacksmiths where they sharpened pickaxe heads, these were being dulled by men digging the tunnels for an underground spitfire factory on the Wargrave road just outside Henley.

Tough as old boots. He spent his 70th birthday concreting at Stanstead airport, and could keep pace with all us youngsters shovelling all day. I watched him split his forehead open after walking briskly into a RSJ supporting a bridge under the M3 - bled like a stuck pig, but still finished his shift.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to