General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Fri 22-Jun-18 12:36:04
Print Post

The USO

[link to this post]

Hello, folks.

Just a quick question regarding the USO. As we know the USO is 10mbps+ for everyone (not sure if it is set in stone that number) i can only get a maximum of 8mbps if i am lucky but my availability checker shows 11-12 for fibre and 3-4 for adsl2+

Where will companies and government pull this info from to make sure they give it to the people that are actually under 10mbps.

Will i be able to request, when the USO is set, a faster service even though the checker shows more than 10mbps? Do we know how that will work yet?

I should probably ask this question in a couple of years but has been bothering me and who knows, someone might have an answer smile

Thank you.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Jun-18 12:53:27
Print Post

Re: The USO

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

I would imagine itíll be a paper exercise for the most part.

The guesstimate is over 10, so thatís it, box ticked, move on.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 22-Jun-18 13:16:12
Print Post

If you are on FTTC and only getting 8Mbps with BT Wholesale checker showing 11-12Mbps estimate, there is possibly a problem at your end. Is your 8Mbps the throughput, or the connection speed? The estimate is for connection speed.

Which raises the question of which the USO will be. It can only sensibly be the connection speed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71307/12780Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Fri 22-Jun-18 13:19:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Roberto

OFCOM paperwork repeatedly says Synch speed.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 22-Jun-18 13:21:50
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Ta.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71307/12780Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Fri 22-Jun-18 13:45:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hello, RobertoS

I'm on Adsl2+ I tried vdsl not to long ago and it didn't go well. (2.8km) was getting around 8mbps with vdsl but it was not stable. I went back to the stable Adsl2+ where i always get 6+mbps with 99% uptime.

Router stats always show below 10mbps on both adsl and vdsl.

Thanks

Edit- From what i'm reading it would be safe to assume that i'll be ok asking for 10+ even though the checker shows above that. USO is just around the corner so i'm sure we will find out soon enough. Thanks, folks!

Edited by woodmass14 (Fri 22-Jun-18 13:48:37)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 22-Jun-18 14:50:53
Print Post

All hinges on your upload estimates and sync speed, if those are above 1 Mbps then it is down to interpretation of what ever rules are set.

But yes I am expecting a few fights around paperwork records say you just about are over USO limits, but reality is you are under.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to