General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User helpoort
(committed) Thu 28-Jun-18 17:07:28
Print Post

BT Price Increase

[link to this post]

Received email from BT on 27th June 2018 informing me they will increase their charge to me by £2.50 per month.
I signed a contract with BT for their Unlimited Infinity on 4th April 2018, service started on 19th April 2018.Contract price was £29.99 for 18 Months.This contract included Line Rental.
Phoned BT spoke to someone in Ireland then they put me through to the UK.
The person informed me that the price increase was because of a Mandatory Price increase by the Regulatory Authorities WHICH BT AND ISPs WERE OBLIGED TO FOLLOW.
Difficult to believe/understand this information given to me by their spokesman.
Have NOT seen anything relating to this on Thinkbroadband.
Does anyone know of this, in other words is this correct.
Hekpoort
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Jun-18 17:15:52
Print Post

Re: BT Price Increase

[re: helpoort] [link to this post]

I think any comment that it is forced on them is junk.

BT site talks about the price rise here.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Jun-18 18:08:06
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I wonder if the notification says anything about being able to leave without penalty? Or have they got it set at a figure that technically doesn't trigger that.

I don't see anything on the page you linked to about releasing in-term customers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 63852/12594Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Jun-18 18:12:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

£1/m line rental increase is enough to trigger the 30 day notice period

As for regulatory, flat WLR and 40/10 has dropped in price, but the effect on BT Group of lost revenue might mean retail are compensating.

Message is do what Ofcom encourages which is switch

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User alwall
(member) Fri 29-Jun-18 07:28:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Switching isn't always an easy option. (For instance, I would lose access to BT Sport which for an enthusiastic sports fan would mean being unable to watch Premiership Rugby.)
Sky or Virgin as a carrier would be much more expensive in total.

The rises are infuriating but I'm stuck with them, and I'm sure that BT have factored this in when making the decision

BTBroadband
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Jun-18 13:39:25
Print Post

[re: alwall] [link to this post]

The joys of a market that has been bundle driven since 2006 and various rule changes have compounded that

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 29-Jun-18 13:54:22
Print Post

And today, BT line-only rentals to be cut to what is now the obvious level they belong at.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 63852/12594Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Jun-18 14:06:11
Print Post

Maybe that is the regulatory moved they are referring to.

As for being the obvious level then Ofcom could impose a retail ruling across the board, but would need to get past objections from others who would have to lower prices, i.e. likely line rental goes down, broadband goes up and status quo remains for majority

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 29-Jun-18 14:17:06
Print Post

I quite agree.

What has been so wrong for so long has been the ridiculous rises in line rental by the big firms to cross-subsidise their broadband prices. Compulsory quoting of the bundled price rather than giving the two prices equal fonts and prominence simply made it worse.

BT Consumer being of course the worst offender as they have the psychologically trapped older generation, many of whom still don't have broadband.

I for one moved my line when I discovered I was paying over £24 a month once they added in things I didn't need but couldn't easily avoid.

Standard User helpoort
(committed) Fri 29-Jun-18 17:57:49
Print Post

Thanks for comments.
I agreed an 18 Month Contract with BT for £29.99 including line rental.
Three months into the contract THEY inform me of a price increase.
Is a BT CONTRACT price now worthless and of no value.
So BUYER BEWARE WITH BT.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to