General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Jul-18 20:06:44
Print Post

Sudden connection speed increase!

[link to this post]

I am still on bog-standard EO ADSL and suddenly over this weekend my connection/sync speed increases from 6.3Mbps to 10.88. Upload improves from 0.4Mbps to 1.061

The distance to my exchange is a little over 3km on good old vintage copper! So, why this sudden improvement? Download speeds on Speedtest.net increase from 6.3Mbps to 9.4. Upload from 0.4 to 0.9. Ping speed remains more or less the same at 33ms. Line attenuation and noise remain the same as ever.

Any ideas please?

Andrew
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 15-Jul-18 20:22:01
Print Post

Re: Sudden connection speed increase!

[re: Andrew_W] [link to this post]

The most likely explanation is that your exchange has just been upgraded by BT Wholesale from ADSL Max to WBC ADSL2+.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 68543/12313Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Jul-18 08:20:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks Bob but not according to Sam Knows and www.telephone-exchange.co.uk

Tetford, Lincolnshire, is the one in question!

Andrew

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 16-Jul-18 08:49:00
Print Post

[re: Andrew_W] [link to this post]

Are you on ADSL Max as far as you know? Because your new speeds that you gave are impossible on that. They are typical of ADSL2+.

The link you give asks for postcode. That isnít much use to me. Clearly samknows isnít up to date. It does show Tetford as ADSL Max only, which in fact proves my previous post is correct.

BT Wholesale is in the process of upgrading all such exchanges to WBC (21CN). Scroll down this article to the quote from a Press Release or slide showing a map and giving details. Plus the first paragraph summary.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 68543/12313Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 16-Jul-18 09:05:29)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Jul-18 09:25:04
Print Post

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/exchanges/sltf

We have seen it get ADSL2+

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Jul-18 09:27:25
Print Post

Just did a check on BT Wholesale ADSL checker for LN9 6QQ (first postcode I found in Tetford) and that checker is showing ADSL2+ availability. Looks like your hunch is probably correct and it has done a recent move and Samknows hasn't caught up.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 16-Jul-18 09:39:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Your (MrSaffronís to distinguish from the OP Andrew) link also shows it as Market B, while samknows continues with the long-dead Market 1 smile.

Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Jul-18 16:51:48
Print Post

Well thanks all. I appear to be on ADSL2+ according to my ISP but I was unaware of the improvement until this weekend purely by an obvious improvement in browsing speed.

Mr. Saffron's info appears to be more up to date than others!!

Andrew
  Print Thread

Jump to