General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lakes67
(newbie) Sat 21-Jul-18 14:15:21
Print Post

Post Office broadband

[link to this post]

Hi everyone, this is a first for me but we need some help!

We have recently swapped our broadband from Plusnet to the Post Office. The new router configured fine and we have no problems accessing the internet. I was also able to link our Epson XP-345 printer to the ZyXEL AMG1302-T11C router and can see that it is connected.

However we are unable to print anything as none of our devices (Apple MacBook Pro, iPhone 6 and Samsung Android phone) seem to be seeing the printer. We had absolutely no difficulties when we were linked through the Plusnet router.

The Post Office customer service team were absolutely useless and palmed us off with no solution. I am capable of logging onto the "admin" user of the router but am not technically experienced.

Is there anybody out there that could help with some advice?

Many thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 21-Jul-18 17:53:15
Print Post

Re: Post Office broadband

[re: lakes67] [link to this post]

If the printer or other devices are connected via wireless then it may be that wireless isolation is blocking communication devices on the network

Also on the various devices, you have searched for the printer and added it with its new IP address, rather than trying to print with the old settings.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lakes67
(newbie) Sat 21-Jul-18 18:31:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for this response, I'm grateful for any help we can get!

Yes the printer and other devices are all connected by wireless. Could you explain what wireless isolation means and what we could do to fix it?

Also, with the various devices, we've just looked for any printers that are available on the network and none show up. As an example, the Epson printer supports AirPrint and yet my iPhone can't see it like it used to do. Is there something I could do to fix this?

Again, grateful for any help we can get - not being able to print is a real pain.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Jul-18 18:40:44
Print Post

Have a look at p26 of the printer's user manual:

ftp://download.epson-europe.com/pub/download/6258/ep...

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User lakes67
(newbie) Sat 21-Jul-18 21:32:32
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thanks for your response.

The Network Connection report shows "pass" against each check and the signal strength is excellent.

The more comprehensive Epson status sheet shows no obvious problems and is very similar to the version produced when the printer is connected to the old Plusnet router, just some small variances.

I'm also able to log on to the Post Office (ZyXel) router and see that the printer appears to be connected ok.

So I'm still at a bit of a loss as to why I can't print!
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Jul-18 23:07:22
Print Post

Maybe, if you are using Windows you could go to Control Panel/Devices and Printers and then add a new printer and then print to that.

Michael Chare
Standard User lakes67
(newbie) Sun 22-Jul-18 08:42:15
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Thanks for your response, appreciated.

The main device I use is an Apple MacBook Pro, so I would normally add a printer through System Preferences, then Printers and Scanners but when I click on the + sign, it doesn't see any printers on the network to add. Am I missing a step somewhere?
Standard User AndrewNi
(regular) Sun 22-Jul-18 20:52:10
Print Post

Wireless isolation means that all devices connected wirelessly to your router can only speak to the router (and the internet through it), but not to each other. So your printer can communicate with the router, hence the passes in the report, but not to any of your computers. Your computers can speak with the router, but not to your printer or each other.

To turn this off on your router:

Page 89 of the manual here: ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/AMG1302-T11C/user_guide/AMG1302...

Log into your router's control panel (page 18). Go to Network Setting -> Wireless -> General and untick both Client Isolation and MBSSID/LAN Isolation (so any computers using an Ethernet cable can see the printer).
Standard User lakes67
(newbie) Mon 23-Jul-18 01:20:32
Print Post

[re: AndrewNi] [link to this post]

Thanks very much for this advice, which seems to make sense.

Iíll be away from home for the next two or three days but will try this when I get back and will let you know if it works

Many thanks again
Standard User lakes67
(newbie) Thu 26-Jul-18 22:46:09
Print Post

[re: AndrewNi] [link to this post]

Again, thanks very much for this response.

After being away from home for a few days, I've been able to check your suggestions tonight and can confirm that neither of the two parameters you mentioned were ticked anyway so I've left them how they were.

Another suggestion was that I needed to enable uPNP, since apparently the manufacturer ships the router without this being enabled. However, when I checked, uPnP was in fact enabled anyway.

So I'm still no further forward!

If I switch on the previous Plusnet router and use this purely to provide a wi-fi connection between laptop and printer, it works fine. With both devices connected to this network, the Mac sees the Epson printer immediately and allows me to add it through System preferences > Printers and Scanners. Printing is then straightforward.

If instead I go through exactly the same procedure with the Post Office / Zyxel router, both devices connect fine but the Mac thinks the printer is offline. If I delete it and then try to add it through Printers and Scanners (as above), it doesn't see the printer at all so can't add it.

This situation is mirrored by my iPhone using the AirPrint facility. I sill can't find a way to print through this wireless router, which is very frustrating.

I appreciate I'm asking a lot of forum users to help me with this problem but any suggestions you have would be very gratefully received!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to