General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jmc42
(newbie) Mon 24-Sep-18 21:42:55
Print Post

Speed

[link to this post]

A couple of months ago I ordered Now(Sky) 35mb fibre broadband; everything worked fine and I got speeds of about 35mb. I cancelled the broadband because I could not get Now to move my virgin phone number across and the line was deactivated.

I am trying again to move my virgin phone number across and am going with Vodafone. The one thing that puzzles me is that the speed checks on Vodafone and other sites including dslchecker www.dslchecker.bt.com/ when ordering the broadband all say that I can only get 19mb.

Can anyone explain why the dsl speed checker reports a maximum speed of 19mb when the Now connection reached speeds of 35mb. Is it because the line is deactivated and it cannot check the speed from the cabinet to the house?

James
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Sep-18 22:08:31
Print Post

Re: Speed

[re: jmc42] [link to this post]

No real reason why the speeds should be so much slower, unless you are maybe only seeing ADSL2+ speed estimates now

Assume you are checking using the house number and postcode and NOT the telephone number you temporarily had while with NOW TV

The checkers do not actually do a real time check, but rather are based on records, so it is possible the cancellation has confused things.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jmc42
(newbie) Mon 24-Sep-18 22:28:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I am using post code checker not phone number.

About 6 years ago there was a BT ADSL line before I moved to Virgin. DSL checker quotes the 19mb speeds for VDSL though; it also says that ADSL 2 will get speeds of 17mb.

Do all the Openreach suppliers (Now, Vodafone, BT, Plusnet) all use the same VDSL technology or are there differences between the various Openreach suppliers?

DSL checker specifies the cabinet that I am connected to. Would all other users in the street connected to the same cabinet get the same speed?

I think that when I checked a few weeks ago, the speeds were much higher but I am not sure.

I guess it is a question of trying Vodafone and cancel within 30 days if it is that slow. In that case I will reluctantly accept loss of my phone number and go back to Now in the hope that the speed will still be 35mb.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Sep-18 22:38:57
Print Post

If just postcode and not adding house number, then it will give odd results for some.

All use the same technology

Speeds can vary from property to property, without knowing the actual address and being able to look at results from checkers hard to say more

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jmc42
(newbie) Mon 24-Sep-18 22:51:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The post code is [removed]. If you enter house number of 4, 8, 10 and 14 you get high speeds of 80mb and VDSL and G.fast. For my house 12 the speed is 16mb (not 19mb) and G fast is not available.

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.address

Edited by MrSaffron (Mon 24-Sep-18 23:33:19)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Sep-18 23:38:21
Print Post

Removed your postcode,

Based on the short length of the road and the other results the checker looks broken for your address i.e. a range of 5.8 to 16 Mbps is for line lengths of a kilometre or more.

Should not matter so long as a provider takes your order, as the line will connect at the speeds it can actually manage rather than what the checker says

Even the postcode at the north end of the road, furthest from cabinet is showing 59 to 80 Mbps FTTC estimates, and 83 to 170 Mbps for G.fast

Print Thread

Jump to