General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User thomaswarne01
(member) Sat 13-Oct-18 18:49:42
Print Post

RJ11 Cable Type for Broadband

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,
Just thought id share an experience with reducing line errors and improving the quality of various broadband connections, this is from ADSL Standard Broadband and VDSL FTTC Broadband
I bought a few RJ11 twisted pair cables to replace standard flat cables, to see if line stats improved and they did on 3 different connections, so even if your line is good it may be worth investing in a different cable to connect it to the socket/filter.
The link is to the cable I bought and got 6 of them to use in various places.
and another link for an artcile that I found which helped explain to me what the benefits of the twisted pair type cable vs standard flat which routers are shipped out with.
RJ11 Cable from Kenable
Web Article for explanation of cable type

It would be interesting to hear back from people over time if you try this out for yourself,
If you do not mind sharing your experience just to see if it made any difference,

But on a TalkTalk ADSL connection it improved it by 2Mbps in a comms cab, which i think was because of REIN (Example Link also) in their, allot of power supplies etc..
so it went from 6Mbps to 8Mbps download speed and upload went from 728Kbps to 911Kbps latency from 38ms to 30ms

On a BT FTTC 80/20 latency was reduced by 3ms as id imagine after the resync the interleaving was not as harsh because the router and cabinet equipment had a clearer signal to the router, as this router is next to power supplies ups, etc..
Upload snr went from 9.0db to 12db after cable change, (which is good!)
speed sync unchanged as already maxing at 79995Kbps down and 20000Kbps up.

so yeah two examples using different technology for the connection method, and it helped improve the latency on both lines!

So yeah, Anyone any input to this?
Id be happy to see any success stories on this thread.

BT FTTP, 74Mbps down, 20Mbps up
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 14-Oct-18 10:34:49
Print Post

Re: RJ11 Cable Type for Broadband

[re: thomaswarne01] [link to this post]

RJ11 is NOT a type of cable. It is the specification for a plug type.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Sun 14-Oct-18 11:20:45
Print Post

I might be wrong and sorry if I am, but your profile says that you are on FTTP and as you are linking to products that don't work on your service it comes across to me as a spam advert. Sorry.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Sun 14-Oct-18 15:15:14
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks I do know this and this type of connection end is what connects broadband equipment with cable to the socket.
I was referring to the general specification of the cable.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-Oct-18 15:23:23
Print Post

In which case if referring to the cable the preferred specification is CW1308 or CAT5e, ensuring it is copper rather than copper coated aluminium, and pairs are twisted and the way the RJ11 plugs is wired up is such that the active two pins for a xDSL signal are from a single twisted pair

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Sun 14-Oct-18 15:24:16
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

Hi, I am personally on FTTP 80/20 as my signature says, well done on pointing that fact out.
This is not a spam advert in anyway shape or form,
I am sharing an experience of changing the leads on other broadband connections for friends and places of work, using my noggin I found a method that improved the quality of the connections.
The examples I wrote about are a BT Business FTTC 80/20 in an office, and the other is Standard TalkTalk Business ADSL at my place of work, we cannot get fibre there yet so marginal improvements are great!
So jumping to conclusions of spam is your opinion and shows you are not open minded to hearing other peoples stories or experiences.
To summarise, I am basically sharing a method of how I improved a couple of different lines by changing the leads that connect the router to the socket/filter, and in doing so It helped me so I thought a post to share my experience and links to what I used/found as research to help others.
Sorry for sharing!
But any one else who tries this out it would be good to hear back if it worked for you.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-Oct-18 15:27:03
Print Post

It is a subject almost as old as xDSL so people mentioning it out of the blue with a couple of links and all the right words can look very like someone attempting to spam, e.g. it is not unusual to get opening posts that have culled together info from across the web to then follow up with their own sales pitch in a week or two.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Sun 14-Oct-18 15:34:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I get that, and understand the point made, but It could benefit users on Fibre FTTC aswell, so just tried to share an idea, and yes standard broadband is getting old but many people still use it as they are unable to get faster, so marginal improvements are always great to squeeze more out of a slow line, like I did,
the company that is selling the cable I purchased I am not affiliated with and just linked the product I purchased to show others what was used in my experiment.

Standard User homer79
(learned) Mon 15-Oct-18 00:29:06
Print Post

This is fairly easy to answer. Having tried CAT5E, CAT6, CAT6A, CAT7 for the modem cable, with my broadband it didn't make any real world gains. What does make a bigger difference is the master socket filter.
I've tried MK1,MK2,MK3,MK4 on my line and the MK3 worked out best for me.

The BT side of the line is the longest bit, if you have a line which is 300M long, having 2-3M of OFC cable isnt going to do much. unless the original cable was rubbish. It also makes a difference if the RJ11 plugs are gold plated.

Edited by homer79 (Mon 15-Oct-18 00:30:13)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Oct-18 07:55:17
Print Post

[re: homer79] [link to this post]

Well said.

Was going to reply something similar yesterday evening, but got side tracked.

Print Thread

Jump to