General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GAspode60
(newbie) Tue 23-Oct-18 22:22:20
Print Post

Type of broadband

[link to this post]

I currently have a house with older type cabling (not fibre). I am quite happy with the speed AND COST from SSE for my broadband.
We are now moving to a brand new house with no phone line as yet installed. The site manager tells me that BT have installed fibre cabling right to the doors of all the houses on the site ready for connection.
I therefore asked SSE to switch me to the new address and they have messaged me saying ‘Unfortunately your new property does not have a copper line at the exchange, this means we are unable to provide the property’. Grammatically incorrect but that is what they have said.
All I want at the new house is a basic broadband connection - the kind that generally quote something like ‘up to 10meg’. I don’t need the kind of connections that quote 30+meg and I certainly don’t want to pay the higher costs inevitably associated with higher speed.
So, my question is, can I have a ‘basic’ lower speed but also lower cost type of connection/contract in the circumstances I have described for my new house?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Oct-18 22:50:43
Print Post

Re: Type of broadband

[re: GAspode60] [link to this post]

Lots of new build homes only have FTTP - full fibre installed to them and thus the cheapest ADSL2+ services are not available.

Price wise then looking at people like BT and their slower fibre packages e.g. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/bt/packages/unli... £31.99/m currently but freebies and price varies slightly every few weeks on the offers

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User troublegum
(member) Tue 23-Oct-18 22:56:49
Print Post

Nope, you're stuck with FTTP and the few providers that are currently selling it.

It's quite sad to see people having FTTP available (something that many people would give their right arm for) but they would rather have a bargain basement ADSL service due to the cost.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Oct-18 23:06:47
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

Given that many new builds are the edge of towns the standard ADSL/ADSL2+ speeds would often be low anyway

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User j0el
(newbie) Tue 23-Oct-18 23:21:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Some areas (councils?) may impose minimum speed requirements for new builds, and connectivity of such a standard must be provided unless there is proof that it is not feasible. I think I remember seeing a draft or something requiring speeds of like at least 20-25 Mbps symmetrical locally on new builds, but I don't think it was passed into the agreed, final plan.
Standard User GAspode60
(newbie) Wed 24-Oct-18 06:58:44
Print Post

Thanks for the answers (even if it is not what I wanted to hear).

The really sad thing is that in years gone by I would have been delighted to have speed - mainly for gaming. And wherever I moved all I got was excuses as to why I had [censored] speed. My house for the last 7 years had just over 2 meg and I got by with it.

(We are currently in a rented property whilst new house was being built and will be moving in a few days).

Now, arthritis in fingers and no interest in the other advantages that FTTP has for some people means I am now forced to pay a load of money for nothing more than a few emails and the odd google search or amazon purchase.

The reality of life is that I need a land line and email address for a few minimal things so I’m stuck with having to pay through the nose for it. As Blackadder says “The devil farts in my face yet again”.
Standard User dsergeant
(member) Wed 24-Oct-18 07:14:55
Print Post

GAspode60 raises interesting points. With the trend in these new estates to offer FTTP only, with presumably phone over internet as the only option, at cost significantly more than POTS phone, those who have no interest in all the advantages of FTTP are being ignored. Many elderly people do not have smartphones, and with their small screens and touch keyboards are far from optimum for ageing fingers (although mine are quite agile I hate touch screens). Perhaps you should raise your concerns with the housing developers, local council, local press, MP, facebook groups whatever.
Standard User SJHambly
(newbie) Wed 24-Oct-18 08:34:51
Print Post

You don't have to buy an Ultrafast service (150 or 300) with FTTP though.

You can buy the basic Infinity service, which is 40/10, or the 80/20 mid-tier.

And, in the case of my mother-in-law we found BT would actually offer the basic Infinity (VDSL in her case, but BT don't differentiate between FTTP and FTTC) service for less than the ADSL service...

Ok, So I know I'm talking BT here, and other lower cost providers are available, but most of those don't offer service over FTTP yet.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Oct-18 08:43:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by GAspode60:
I am now forced to pay a load of money for nothing more than a few emails and the odd google search or amazon purchase.

You're not forced to pay for FTTP. If you're a very light internet user and you have a good 3G/4G mobile signal indoors in the new house then buy the cheapest smartphone you can afford (that's if you don't already have one) and subscribe to a cheap sim only plan with sufficient data. You can then tether the smartphone to your PC for occasional internet access. We are paying £5 a month to Three for a sim-only plan with unlimited calls and 4GB of data (4G) per month which can be tethered.

On the other hand, taking out BT's cheapest FTTP service - Superfast Fibre Essential @ 40 Mbps - potentially works out only a few £ more p/m than SSE's cheapest ADSL service. I'm guessing you're paying £21 p/m with SSE (for bog standard ADSL/ADSL2+), BT's cheapest FTTP service is £29.99 p/m. However Quidco are offering £95 cashback on BT's offering so it works out at less that £25 p/m with cashback thrown in. And you get a free Fitbit Charge 3 thrown in by BT...whatever that is!

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 24-Oct-18 09:01:24)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 24-Oct-18 09:59:11
Print Post

[re: j0el] [link to this post]

Symmetric?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to