General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User clyde123
(regular) Wed 21-Nov-18 21:26:32
Print Post

ADSL 2+ problems

[link to this post]

A friend is complaining of slow broadband speeds. Okay it's ADSL 2+, but we've seen speeds of maybe 15 in the past. He says he's getting maybe 3 Mbps on average at the moment.
Have just been looking in his modem/router. The attenuation reports 180 downstream.
Here's links to the statistics from the router :
https://ibb.co/eygfSA
https://ibb.co/frqULV
https://ibb.co/kmSb0V

So, downstream rate is 6656 but the attainable rate is 13584 (Kbps).
Downstream attenuation says it's 180, and SNR margin 146.
Is that just an unusual way of expressing attenuation and SNR margin, or do we have a serious problem here ?
I've run Fault Diagnostics tests on the line, KBD tool Non-intrusive and intrusive. Nothing of interest there - result "No issues have been identified in the BTW network. KBD test indicates no BTW network fault. Please perform all CP and End User checks. BTW Performance/Speed test has not been run."

My next step will be a visit to check things like internal wiring, dongles, etc.
But does anyone with experience have any recommendations ?

Oh, and at the ISP end, it's reporting multiple disconnections most days.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 21-Nov-18 21:55:10
Print Post

Re: ADSL 2+ problems

[re: clyde123] [link to this post]

The easy bit is the high readings. wink

If you look at the descriptions they say 0.1dB. In other words they aren't printing the decimal points. So SNRM is 14.6 down, 5.9 up. Attenuation is down 18.0, up 8.4.

The more difficult bit is finding out what is wrong. The high down margin is causing the low sync, and the high down margin is a result of DLM trying to stop the frequent disconnections.

Normally the first thing to do is a re-sync to see if a one-off disconnection that re-sync'ed for instance during a thunderstorm, but given the ISP is seeing multiple disconnections it isn't that. So don't do it. In this situation the more re-sync's done his end the worse he makes it.

A guess. Plusnet?

Is he near to you so it's easy to pop round, or quite a way away and not simple for whatever reasons?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 72382/13812Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User clyde123
(regular) Wed 21-Nov-18 22:07:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks Robertos.
Firstly the easy bit - no not Plusnet, Entanet smile
He's not too far, about 15 miles. I'll probably not go until next week now as I've already got commitments for tomorrow evening, Friday daytime, all day Saturday. Then my better half is away with the girls Sunday & Monday so I'm not going to waste that free time smile smile

That router has been installed for quite a while. I'll maybe organise a replacement, just in case.
I'll feed back once I've been out and visited, and checked cables and stuff.
Thanks again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 21-Nov-18 22:17:34
Print Post

Check the line for noise/dial tone too ... an easy test often overlooked.

Standard User clyde123
(regular) Thu 22-Nov-18 00:03:29
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks Zarjaz
Quiet line test gives total silence.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Nov-18 01:39:42
Print Post

You should be syncing at about 21 Meg instead of the 6656 K that you are. The reason you are not is that the DLM system has put you on a banded profile in response to past errors on your line, at the top of the 7th lowest of these ADSL Banded Profiles. You need to give the DLM time to relent & remove any banding. Leave it alone for at least 7 days & don't reset or resync the router. If it's still banded you should then call your ISP to get the DLM reset in order to remove any banding. However should significant errors persist the DLM will reapply banding.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Nov-18 06:02:41
Print Post

OK, thatís a good start then. Itíll have await your visit then.

Standard User Kalinihta
(newbie) Thu 22-Nov-18 12:16:35
Print Post

ADSL is an outdated technology.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Nov-18 12:23:37
Print Post

[re: Kalinihta] [link to this post]

What a pointless post to make ? Doesnít help the original poster at all does it ?

Standard User clyde123
(regular) Thu 22-Nov-18 18:51:32
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Without getting into anything more right now, can anyone confirm that this is a very old BT "master" socket ?
Link : https://ibb.co/nM5VVV

I need to go out for a few hours, so don't be offended if I don't respond right away to any replies smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to