General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mcompton69
(regular) Sat 01-Dec-18 15:32:11
Print Post

Re: Croydon Flat - New Broadband Connection Hell

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
The only way to improve the BB supply is to contact OR/Hyperoptic/Virgin/ANother and have a conversation about the change in use of the property and the fact that there are now 150+ flats with sub USO speeds that people may like to serve.with better speeds.. This conversation may need to include the management company of the building as improved speeds may be to their long term benefit as well.

£250 investment per flat may see higher rents being possible or the risk of lower ones with sub 10Mb speeds on the higher floors. Certainly they may be interested in a partnership with OR to improve there long term rent profile.

I spoke with the Sterling Estates who manage Emerald House in Croydon, simply to get basic information after I moved in, they were not very obliging at all and told me to speak to my landlord (I cant, as i have to go through another agent...). However, their response when I asked specifically about broadband in relation to the satellite dist box was to immediately shut down "we cant talk to you about that" - i wonder if they have been challenged about this already?

And therein lies the problem - If people are unable to determine the available broadband in a property - in an area where most properties are FTTC or FTTH (the previous flat i was which was completed in 2015 in was FTTH) - they might assume decent bandwidth when in fact the service is dire. Therefore there is no incentive whatsoever for Sterling Estates to spend a penny to improve connections speeds as the current market means properties are very easy to fill.

Gutted about this, this might cause me to leave the flat as soon as possible.

VM VIVID200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Dec-18 16:52:08
Print Post

[re: mcompton69] [link to this post]

> If people are unable to determine the available broadband in a property

But this is available as you have shown by posting the results of the BT Wholesale checker. Cab 52 and ADSL2+ with no FTTC nor FTTH. Not that this checker covers VirginMedia nor the likes of Hyperoptic.

Did you check before renting the flat? What did the agent say was available in their literature? Sites such as Rightmove usually include broadband speeds for the properties they list however I am aware that these are not always correct.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 01-Dec-18 17:52:53
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

The checker is giving the correct response, i.e. not showing VDSL2 because their is no VDSL2 cabinet on cabinet 52

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Dec-18 19:54:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The checker is giving the correct response, i.e. not showing VDSL2 because their is no VDSL2 cabinet on cabinet 52
I appreciate that which is why I replied to the OP saying that such details were readily available as he himself had proven.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 01-Dec-18 20:21:07
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Was just adding my confirmation to what you said smile

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Dec-18 00:41:13
Print Post

[re: mcompton69] [link to this post]

Cabinet P52 Openreach fibre not available CR0 2DU

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to