General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Nov-18 22:13:35
Print Post

gmail security checks

[link to this post]

After changing ISP on Monday, I started MS Outlook email client which looks after several email boxes. Some are gmail, some are not.

The first Outlook Send/Receive resulted in all the gmail boxes failing. And my recovery email box received a Critical Security Alert saying a Sign-in attempt was blocked. Then Someone just used your password to try to sign in to your account. Google blocked them, but you should check what happened..

I also got a popup about this. As it was all OK I clicked that it was OK and there's been no further such messages.

I thought it may be that gmail monitors IP addresses and a new one causes it to block. However this morning when I had to reboot the hub the IP address changed and gmail was quite happy about it.

Made we wonder what it is that alerts gmail to a possible email account hack attempt.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 29-Nov-18 02:13:34
Print Post

Re: gmail security checks

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Which ISP were you with previously and which now. Some changes would be obvious to Gmail, others not so obvious.

For instance Sky or TalkTalk to or from Plusnet are obvious because of the distinct IP address ranges. BT to and from Plusnet hard to detect as they tend to swap them around unofficially, being in the same group.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 72382/13812Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Thu 29-Nov-18 09:48:36
Print Post

Happens to me regularly when the laptop goes to London with me. IDNet at home and Hyperoptic in London and get the security warning at each end of the trip. I use Thunderbird to collate all of my e-mail accounts and have to go into Google's webmail each time before it will accept the connection from Thunderbird.

Also used to happen when it was a Sky connection in London.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Nov-18 14:40:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I was with Eclipse, now BT Fibre

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement

Edited by cheshire_man (Thu 29-Nov-18 14:41:12)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 29-Nov-18 14:42:18
Print Post

That would do it. The IP address would show the request coming from a different ISP.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 72382/13812Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Dec-18 00:03:28
Print Post

Happens to me when I go on holiday & connect to the hotel's BB ISP. GMail thinks I'm now someone else. Does GMail never take a break wink?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to