General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Kinnectus
(newbie) Thu 29-Nov-18 18:44:58
Print Post

Can leased lines be "sub-let" / charged for other users?

[link to this post]

I've been thinking and have already asked the likes of Virgin Media in relation to their Business Broadband/fibre, of which this kind of usage is not permitted.

What sort of line would allow me (if I wanted) to charge users to use my Internet connection without breaching any terms?

I understand the answer probably is going to be different for each provider, but I'm looking for a place to start of what I'd be asking for... Sounds very amateurish, I know.

I see the likes of people being their own ISPs with the likes of using WISP technology and they charge people "rent" so either they're breaching terms and conditions or they've got a legitimate agreement to be able to, essentially, sub-let and share their connection for (quite often) profit.

I also see examples of, say, serviced office spaces that charge extra for internet and, say, VoIP telephony. This, as with above, would either be breaching terms and conditions or be legitimate.

Can anyone help answer or have experience with this?

Thank you
Standard User partial
(experienced) Thu 29-Nov-18 21:02:15
Print Post

Re: Can leased lines be "sub-let" / charged for other users?

[re: Kinnectus] [link to this post]

You rent a proper private wire, you can do pretty much what you like with it. This is the Hyperoptic etc business model.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Fri 30-Nov-18 13:04:56
Print Post

Kittectus

This is how most ISPs provide their network. Leased lines build all their connectivity. Most do not own their own infrastructure, those that do still rent from BT (or other) where build costs are to high.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Nov-18 14:33:23
Print Post

This is fairly normal, I am sure most providers of leased circuits have customers that do this.

The only thing you may want to do is obtain an IP block so if you're dishing out slices of your capacity, you give each user/client a unique IP so if you see any nasty traffic or start getting abuse reports - you can identify that client specifically.

You may also want to consider getting a router that can deal with QoS/CoS so that not one single client can use all the capacity impacting the service for others. That said if you're getting anything over 100Mb and limit those clients port speed to 100Mb, they're not going to ever be able to fully saturate the overall connection themselves - but you then have to consider what if all your clients use their maximum bandwidth at the same time and this fills the link that you have purchased.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
  Print Thread

Jump to