General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User max360
(learned) Fri 30-Nov-18 16:17:33
Print Post

Home Network Setup

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Please share pictures of your home network setup.

My setup is as follows:

1 x UniFi Security Gateway 4 Pro (Router)
1 x UniFi Switch 24 POE-250W (Managed Switch)
1 x UniFi AP-AC-LR (Wireless Access Point) - will add another for greater coverage
1 x Unfi Cloud key Controller (Management of the network remotely)
1 x Huawei HG612 VDSL2 Modem
1 x Samknows Whitebox

Pictures:

https://i.ibb.co/5vcnVtW/image1.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/dtQRGxy/image2.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/j6DgZ6N/image3.jpg

ISP: PlusNet: Downstream rate = 79999 Kbps - Upstream rate = 19999 Kbps. Ping: 11ms.
Line Stats: Line attenuation Down: 7.8db Up: 8.7db

Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 24 - Funded Privately (Community Partnership).

Birmingham Fibre First Program: FTTP (CBT) installed on poles.

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Dec-18 00:20:01
Print Post

Re: Home Network Setup

[re: max360] [link to this post]

Neat smile

Don't forget to post in the Unifi Community Stories section at https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Stories/con-p/Un...

My current home setup is in flux at the moment and is likely to remain so for the next few months until FTTP becomes available. When it's pretty, I might take a photo. I use a Unifi UAP-AC-LR too.

In the next week or three I should be able to get some better pictures of other home setups I've done recently. This is one, but it needs a dust and a better camera.

Cabinet.jpeg

Despite clear instructions, the local folks that wired the patch panel ignored my request to group APs together so there's no logic to the patch panel whatsoever. I didn't get to see what they'd done until it was too late;

CabinetBefore.jpeg

On the plus side, there was less dust back then smile

Cables are colour coded: Blue is wifi access points and controller, silver is audiovisual, red is VLAN for the ISP's streaming television service and black is general computers.

At some stage it's likely that a Mac Mini will find its way in there as a Plex media server.

The site has 5 x UAP-AC-LR and one UAP-AC-M-Pro outside.

I'm there next week so will see if I can sort that out. The blue Raspberry Pi runs the Unifi controller and also acts as a syslog server for other devices. It sends email alerts when there's a power cut too.

It's fitted with an industrial grade SD Card and in the near future I'll upgrade the log storage to a USB RAID array - which is what I do at home.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User max360
(regular) Sat 01-Dec-18 00:48:34
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Very nice. Love the way everything is arranged. Is that a 19U rack?

I have to get a UPS as well. On the to-do list for now.

Thanks,

ISP: PlusNet: Downstream rate = 79999 Kbps - Upstream rate = 19999 Kbps. Ping: 11ms.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Dec-18 08:55:33
Print Post

I'm glad you like it, thank you smile

Yes, it's 19" rack from Canford. Ethernet cable is Canford too. Unfortunately the location isn't deep enough for a 600mm depth rack so it's 450mm - which meant having to go for the lower end Synology as the other ones are too deep to fit in the rack.

This next one is part way through another home set up. It's advanced considerably since this photo was taken but I haven't been able to get another photo recently. It's still waiting for a rack but I can't get in as there's someone temporarily living there;

BlameItOnQuinn.jpeg

Progress1.jpg

The UPS in the second picture will eventually go in the bottom of the rack and the red sockets are powered from the UPS. This site has;

1 x UniFi Switch 8 POE-60W (main)
1 x UniFi Switch 8 (in the sitting room powered from the UAP-AC-IW-PRO)
1 x UniFi AP-AC-In Wall (bedroom)
1 x UniFi AP-AC-In Wall Pro (sitting room)
1 x Unifi Cloudkey
1 x WatchGuard M200 Firewall
1 x Mac Mini - local file server
1 x Apple Time Capsule
2 x Gigaset N300 IP DECT base stations
1 x Invoxia Voice Bridge - landline to mobile bridge

DMZ:
1 x Netgear ProSafe Plus GS105E (will eventually be replaced with Unifi)
2 x Raspberry Pi - one as DNS server/UPS monitor, the other as RADIUS/Duo 2FA and syslog server
1 x Mac Mini - host for virtual servers (with SSD)

When I get a chance to put the rack in and tidy everything up, I'll take some more pictures.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Dec-18 09:30:30
Print Post

If you're spending so much why not go the whole hog and buy the UniFi-HD wireless access point instead of the lower spec AC-LR? The latter is only 2x2 stream whilst the HD is 4x4. By going for the HD you may not need further APs.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Netgear XR700 running DumaOS
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Dec-18 09:56:25
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
If you're spending so much why not go the whole hog and buy the UniFi-HD wireless access point instead of the lower spec AC-LR? The latter is only 2x2 stream whilst the HD is 4x4. By going for the HD you may not need further APs.
The house is very large and all on one level. We would need at least four internal access points regardless of the spec beacuse of the internal walls, some of which are structural. Having more access points also improves 5GHz coverage where speed is really needed.

The other thing to note is that with this site, the equipment (except for the UAP-AC-M-Pro) was ordered over two years ago (so long ago that the UAP-AC-LR only work with 24V passive PoE) and the Nano HD is much newer. The Nano HD is also aimed at higher client density than will ever be needed here so the extra expense isn't justifiable.

As for the greater speed, the internet coming in is currently only 12Mbps shocked although FTTP (up to Gigabit) is scheduled by the end of next year.

Sarah

--

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Dec-18 10:06:58
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Fair enough, though my question was really to max360 smile

For a FTTP line I would seriously consider a 4x4 stream access point. It doesn't even have to be UniFi, Linksys do a high end 4x4 stream access point such as this

https://www.linksys.com/gb/p/P-LAPAC2600C/

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Netgear XR700 running DumaOS

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 01-Dec-18 10:14:22)

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Dec-18 10:14:37
Print Post

Ooops. I missed that blush

Sarah

--

Standard User max360
(regular) Sat 01-Dec-18 11:14:06
Print Post

@ baby_frogmella The reason I choose AC-LR was due to its range and itís positioned in the centre of the house, it covers all 3 floors, expect the very end of my kitchen due to a structural wall.
Another AC-LR would cover the entire house. Can I mix/match APís?

@ caffn8me
Great job, very neat setup there.
Whatís UPS would you recommend for my setup please?

I would be switching to FTTP as well as soon the FTTP service become available in my area. Contractors of Openreach tested the light/signal level of the fibre last week on the pole.

Standard User max360
(regular) Sat 01-Dec-18 11:32:23
Print Post

Later version of UAP-AC-LR are also 802.3af PoE+ compatible

Edited by max360 (Sat 01-Dec-18 11:32:50)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to