General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User derekdel
(committed) Wed 05-Dec-18 17:26:49
Print Post

Huawei's equipment to be removed!

[link to this post]

Huawei's equipment To be removed by BT over spy threat, glad I have an ECI cab now

Here
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 05-Dec-18 17:35:39
Print Post

Re: Huawei's equipment to be removed!

[re: derekdel] [link to this post]

The cabs are not affected.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Dec-18 20:40:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Think they evenually will be, or is that task too expensive?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Wed 05-Dec-18 20:52:00
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Probably. It would be interesting to see what they would be replaced with. But, then would Huawei users loose G.INP?

William Grimsley.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 05-Dec-18 20:53:52
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

They are not core equipment. Core equipment has been being replaced for several years. The cabinets do not, by the sound of things, contain any code that cannot be and hasn't been verified. It's fairly simple stuff.

The core routing and exchange equipment, and I know not what else they define as core, will have millions of lines of almost impenetrable (for checking purposes) machine code that could allow a hacker in. It may or may not be intentional on Huawei's part if it does, but the Chinese government's hackers would almost certainly find a entry point if there is one.

The 5G stuff it seems is similarly complex, and maybe tens of thousands of small street level boxes, with it being impossible to verify each one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 05-Dec-18 20:56:26
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

Read this article and the links within it to further information smile.

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Wed 05-Dec-18 21:03:10
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

I expect the nunber of Huawei cabinets to continue to increase and the number of ECI possibly to decrease slightly
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Dec-18 21:18:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by derekdel:
Huawei's equipment To be removed by BT over spy threat, glad I have an ECI cab now

Here

Oh no! This means BT/Openreach will rip out the Huawei GPON hardware serving my FTTP line frown
[starts crying]

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Netgear XR700 running DumaOS

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 05-Dec-18 22:06:57)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 05-Dec-18 21:28:39
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

click wink me

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Dec-18 00:15:10
Print Post

Things have just got interesting;

Huawei executive arrested in Canada

The arrest follows a request from the USA to where extradition is being sought. The lady detained is the deputy chair of Huawei so not an insignificant player.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Thu 06-Dec-18 00:35:24
Print Post

I once had a Huawei router, issued by Talk T. It kept taking me to strange Chinese sites.

I think TT issued new software for it.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 06-Dec-18 00:54:02
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

I think it may be in connection with:-
US media have reported that Huawei is under investigation for potential violations of US sanctions against Iran.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Dec-18 09:47:21
Print Post

Moderation

Some posts have been removed.

If people can explain why a company belonging to a particular nation is cause for their kit being removed then they are free to post

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Thu 06-Dec-18 09:59:04
Print Post

Re: Moderation

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Dec-18 10:32:31
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
I expect the nunber of Huawei cabinets to continue to increase and the number of ECI possibly to decrease slightly

Makes perfect sense. Huawei kit with an upgrade path to 512 lines can be installed to completely replace full ECI 256s.

----
Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 06-Dec-18 10:44:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

What is wrong with saying "would you trust an Israeli company?" And I did not say it should be removed - I pointed out that they too are a foreign power.

People are saying that Huawei cannot be trusted because they are Chinese and Chinese hacking. Have a search for Israeli hacking and you will find a lot out there. Is there any proof that equipment supplied by an Israeli company will not have spyware or malicious code included?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(experienced) Thu 06-Dec-18 12:43:41
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Exactly. Not sure why my reply agreeing to it also was removed, too.

William Grimsley.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Dec-18 13:24:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
People are saying that Huawei cannot be trusted because they are Chinese and Chinese hacking. Have a search for Israeli hacking and you will find a lot out there.

There are hackers in all nations, there are hackers in USA too, should we bin all Apple products?

The point here is China's relationship with the West is not great, and the level of interference the Government of China can have in private business exceeds that which would be considered acceptable here.

Oliver.
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Thu 06-Dec-18 14:41:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
What is wrong with saying "would you trust an Israeli company?" And I did not say it should be removed - I pointed out that they too are a foreign power.

People are saying that Huawei cannot be trusted because they are Chinese and Chinese hacking. Have a search for Israeli hacking and you will find a lot out there. Is there any proof that equipment supplied by an Israeli company will not have spyware or malicious code included?

To equate a democratic country (Israel) with a communist dictatorship renowned for it's state sponsored IP theft (China) meets the requirements of the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance definition of antisemitism. You are holding Israel to a higher standard than other countries. It's how Corbyn tied himself up in knots; he wants to be able to criticise Israel which is fine, but he also wants to hold them to a higher standard than other countries which is not fine.

Do trust ECI more than Huawei, dam sure I do. Do I trust anything that has left my network, er not on your life.
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Thu 06-Dec-18 18:47:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

today's failure of O2 mobile data (Ericsson core routers) show it isn't just 'malicious code' that can cripple a network
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Dec-18 02:57:22
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

+1. The post referred to is veiled Anti-semitism frown

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Dec-18 04:02:22
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
+1. The post referred to is veiled Anti-semitism frown

Lol it didnít take long for accusations of ďAnti-semitismĒ to crop up. Some are saying ECI are no better/worse than Huawei wrt spying, nothing at all to do with with anti-semitism.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Dec-18 04:29:32
Print Post

It's not funny! Shame you are unable to distinguish between the legitimate technical discussion of the OP and the ensuing racism.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Dec-18 07:42:36
Print Post

Ok letís get serious then:

Racism is wrong plain & simple, however criticising Huawei/China is nothing to do with racism.

Likewise criticising ECI/Israel is nothing to do with racism/anti-semitism.

Is that clear enough for you?

As for the OP, he is giving out the impression that ALL Huawei kit is being removed which is utter rubbish. Itís just core stuff but of course it sounds more Ďsensationalistí if you say (deliberately?) that it includes Huawei FTTC cabs as well.

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 08-Dec-18 09:23:50)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Dec-18 13:49:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Racism is wrong plain & simple, however criticising Huawei/China is nothing to do with racism.

To pick up on jabuzzard's point, there are good reasons for exercising caution with kit from China.

There are no more reasons to distrust kit from Israel than there is to distrust kit from France or Belgium, unless you know otherwise?

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Sun 09-Dec-18 14:18:28)

(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Dec-18 15:04:45
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:

To pick up on jabuzzard's point, there are good reasons for exercising caution with kit from China.

There are no more reasons to distrust kit from Israel than there is to distrust kit from France or Belgium, unless you know otherwise?

My reply was to the poster who was howling "anti-semitism!" & "racism!". I was simply pointing out that criticising an Israeli company - as one or two have already done in this thread - does not equate to anti-semitism.

Personally I don't trust any of them, however they are more than welcome to 'spy' on me, they will find I lead a very boring life smile

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 09-Dec-18 15:05:49)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 09-Dec-18 15:09:33
Print Post

Anyway, do any BT Group businesses have ECI kit in the core network? Where Huawei is being slowly removed. Starting several years ago. The cabinets are not an issue, as has been pointed out a few times, but is where this argument started.

Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Tue 11-Dec-18 11:49:45
Print Post

My reply was to the poster who was howling "anti-semitism!" & "racism!". I was simply pointing out that criticising an Israeli company - as one or two have already done in this thread - does not equate to anti-semitism.

Except holding an Israeli company to a higher standard than a company from say France or the USA does as I pointed out fit the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance definition of antisemitism.

By equating a company from a communist dictatorship with close ties to the leaders to a company from a democratic country that was for a significant time a publicly traded company (currently private equity funds own it) does I am afraid equate to anti-semitism because you are holding ECI Telecom to a higher standard than say Cisco, Alcatel-Lucent, Ericsson, Nokia Networks etc.
Standard User lincsat
(learned) Tue 11-Dec-18 12:33:20
Print Post

I don't get all this panic over Chinese IT hardware, after all, the Government is getting a Chinese Nuclear Power Station
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 11-Dec-18 12:55:30
Print Post

[re: lincsat] [link to this post]

Which China will be able explode at will tongue smile.

Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Wed 12-Dec-18 14:02:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
It's not funny! Shame you are unable to distinguish between the legitimate technical discussion of the OP and the ensuing racism.

Criticising Israel, its government, or a company from that country is NOT anti-Semitic.

That's a very very ignorant point of view.

I didn't see ANYONE criticising the Jewish or the Jewish community.

Grow up.
(experienced) Wed 12-Dec-18 14:21:24
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Well said, John.

William Grimsley.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to