General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 04-Jan-19 16:34:29
Print Post

Re: Openreach monopoly and length of time to repair services

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

There are a few locations with no mains, i.e. their own generators and roll-out started a very long time ago.

Electricity they settled on a standard after a good number of years where different towns had different standards.

Also its not all the same specification, business users pay for more higher capacity links, and we pay per kilo Watt hour.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 04-Jan-19 16:43:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by sheephouse:
Maybe, but at least everyone has electricity, and it is all to the same specification. If electricity was distributed in the same way as broadband some of us would still be using oil lamps.
There are thousands of homes in Cornwall that have FTTP but no gas supply. They have to use tanker-supplied oil or gas cylinders for non-electric heating.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User dect
(learned) Fri 04-Jan-19 16:55:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I don't have a gas supply and to be honest am glad I don't

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burble
(member) Fri 04-Jan-19 17:12:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by sheephouse:
Maybe, but at least everyone has electricity, and it is all to the same specification. If electricity was distributed in the same way as broadband some of us would still be using oil lamps.

You have obviously never seen my previous posts on our saga regarding connection to electricity, we where the next house from end of the line, a matter of at most a hundred yards, the initial quote was for tens of thousands of pound to get electricity, as luck would have it soon after a general upgrade was made to the lines and we got a reasonable price for connection, the next house along from us still uses a generator as they thought the price for connection was too high.
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Jan-19 19:47:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Better yet, there are a couple of villages in Pembrokeshire - that exist (literally) in the shadow of the very plants that process the Liquified Natural Gas that is imported to the UK by tanker and injected into the grid by these plants, but the villages have no mains gas. Many more places sit above the pipeline that runs across the country - also with no access to mains gas.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI 80/20 FTTC
SWPM PCP29 - Still suffering Random drops and intermittent high error counts

BQM - looking better than it has been....
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Jan-19 21:19:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Also its not all the same specification, business users pay for more higher capacity links, and we pay per kilo Watt hour.
Very true. I wonder what the electricity market would look like if pricing was based on allowances and/or if unlimited consumption packages existed. Of course fundamentally the two cannot be compared because for all practical purposes bandwidth is not a consumable resource. You can't 'run out' of bandwidth the way you can run out of fuel for power stations.

Both do however suffer from contention. It's just much more difficult to overload a power substation or to fry the supply to a house. I've seen the supply to an office fried though that was due to severely unbalanced phases.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Jan-19 21:29:59
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

It was originally floated in 1984
Thank you. I was aware of my error and that 1991 was the sale of the final tranche. All I can say is that I hope never to return to the appalling service, or rather lack of, supplied by British Telecom (and before that Post Office Telecommunications) when still part of the Post Office. A two month wait for the installation of a new line being the norm and often longer.

Given the subject of this thread the Post Office had the exclusive privilege of running telecommunications systems with listed powers to authorise others to run such systems. In other words the PO was a monopoly unlike BT today.
Standard User dect
(learned) Fri 04-Jan-19 22:01:11
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

To be fair I personally think all nationalised companies/services were poorly managed during that period (70s and 80s). I also remember the time customers had to wait for a new line as I was working for them at the time.

With regards to BT still being a monopoly, everyone will have an opinion and it really doesn't matter either way as nothing will change so we are where we are.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Jan-19 22:08:13
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

it really doesn't matter either way as nothing will change so we are where we are.
Indeed and a good summary that encompasses all opinions.
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Sun 06-Jan-19 21:52:46
Print Post

[re: ajd1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ajd1:
and they also do not work on a Sunday!

That just isnít true! I donít know why TalkTalk and Sky perpetuate this myth!

In reply to a post by steve195527:
In reply to a post by MCM:
openreaches network was paid for by the govt
For which the government was paid when BT was floated in 1991. I think the capitalisation when floated was around £8 billion which sum HMG would have received - perhaps more as I think BT may have been floated in stages.

That other possible suppliers choose not to invest in a particular location does not mean the incumbent is a monopoly as there is nothing to prevent others from investing in local infrastructure.
why haven't they replaced all of the old(victorian)infrastructure?

They have! The vast majority of the network is copper PET (and some aluminium) cabling. If it hadnít been replaced then the vast majority of cabling would be paper insulated, and anyone thatís worked in the network would tell you that isnít the case.

Itís absolutely correct that BT have spent many billions on the network, way before FTTC came along. Donít forget that the exchanges were linked to each other by fibre from the 80s onwards. Prior to that it was all trunk copper cabling. And most of the (previously overhead) D-side network was buried.

I think you need to read up on whatís been done before commenting.

Icaras

Edited by Icaras (Sun 06-Jan-19 22:04:00)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to