General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User partial
(experienced) Mon 07-Jan-19 11:26:24
Print Post

Re: Openreach monopoly and length of time to repair services

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

I reckon half the copper network is paper core as the main side is nearly all paper core.

Standard User dect
(learned) Mon 07-Jan-19 11:47:33
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

This is a quote from an official BT document dated 2015

"Lead-sheathed cable was installed in the ground up until the late 1960s, but is still very common. It comprises of an outer layer of lead – sometimes wrapped in hessian and bitumen for protection, with a paper-wrapped copper core."
Standard User partial
(experienced) Mon 07-Jan-19 12:09:09
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

White polythene sheathed paper core was still being installed on the main side in the mid 70s.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dect
(learned) Mon 07-Jan-19 12:18:19
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

Sounds like a lots of paper core 'could' still be in existence.

Is there anyone reading this who still working for BT in this area who could comment?
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Mon 07-Jan-19 16:14:47
Print Post

Dect /Partial

Main refers to trunk/ junction cables not access. Most of these have now been recovered by BT ( Or thieves) for the copper. All the trunk cables have been Fibre since the late 80s and 99%+ of the junction ones (Exchange -Exchange) only exchange activate sites and occasional resilient routes now use copper cables. (Information from an OFCOM information request to BT that I saw around 2010-12).

Any Paper in the access network from prior to the 80s is likely to have degraded in the damp conditions that are prevalent in the access network. Even where large cables were pressurised to keep water out breakages would have let water ingress over the last 40 years. There may be a little but not lots.

Zargaz may be able to say how often he sees any!
Standard User partial
(experienced) Mon 07-Jan-19 16:34:39
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Thanks. I spend most of my time these days testing and locating on the mainside electrically and pneumatically. So It's good to be schooled on such matters. crazy

Standard User dect
(learned) Mon 07-Jan-19 16:45:04
Print Post

OK thanks for the explanation

Edited by dect (Mon 07-Jan-19 17:23:25)

Standard User partial
(experienced) Mon 07-Jan-19 16:50:39
Print Post

The mainside goes from the exchange to the cabinet. When you get a job on such things the Class of Work is LMC - guess what the M stands for? smile

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Jan-19 17:37:14
Print Post

Zarjaz may be able to say how often he sees any!

I could recount only three lead and paper lengths I have worked on in the last 21 years ..... and of these I am aware of two of those lengths having been replaced now. The other may have been to, just I’ve not revisited that particular joint for many years.

I dare say there’s odds and sods around still, but nothing as earth shattering as the doom mongers would have us belive.

Standard User dect
(learned) Mon 07-Jan-19 17:53:10
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Hi Zarjaz

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
nothing as earth shattering as the doom mongers would have us belive.
Below was a quote from a BT document dated 2015 and not from a doom monger smile the mistake must be with the BT guys who write these documents.

In reply to a post by dect:
"Lead-sheathed cable was installed in the ground up until the late 1960s, but is still very common. It comprises of an outer layer of lead – sometimes wrapped in hessian and bitumen for protection, with a paper-wrapped copper core."
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to