General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User partial
(experienced) Mon 07-Jan-19 18:01:01
Print Post

Re: Openreach monopoly and length of time to repair services

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

For reference, how many cables have you opened up between the exchange and cabinet?

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Jan-19 18:57:31
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

the mistake must be with the BT guys who write these documents.

...reckon so.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Jan-19 18:58:15
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by partial:
For reference, how many cables have you opened up between the exchange and cabinet?

None, I was talking D side innit.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User partial
(experienced) Mon 07-Jan-19 21:24:51
Print Post

So why tell Dect he is wrong when you have no experience of half of the local network. blush

The mainside is virtually all papercore. Nothing wrong with that, it is mostly extremely well made cable and there is a big focus on keeping it giving good service electrically and pneumatically at the moment.

I haven't fitted an NTE for over 20 years. following your logic, I presume they have all been phased out now. wink

Edited by partial (Mon 07-Jan-19 21:25:50)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 07-Jan-19 21:29:35
Print Post

I haven't fitted an NTE for over 20 years. following your logic, I presume they have all been phased out now. wink
Mine has. And I haven't moved to VM. Nor moved from my house for the last 46 years.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 07-Jan-19 21:34:56
Print Post

So why tell Dect he is wrong when you have no experience of half of the local network.
Surely the total mileage of D-side far exceeds that of E-side? Probably by at least one order of magnitude maybe even two.

The number of individual circuits in the E-side isn't relevant as they are in bulk cables, and only the "cable miles" matter, not the circuit miles.

Replace one mile of bulk cable and you replace the number of circuit miles equal to the number of pairs in the cable.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Jan-19 22:36:34
Print Post

I didnít say he was wrong, and admitted to no experience of working Ďhands oníon the E side network .....

They wonít replace these E side cables now, no point, their services are to be less and less required with SOGEA coming and PSTN being phased out....

Standard User dect
(learned) Mon 07-Jan-19 23:05:13
Print Post

In an exchange area I worked some of the 90s (I know that's 20+ years ago now so a lot could have changed) about 95% of all exchange lines / private wires were EO (e.g. no cabs straight to DP's in basements) and most of those main cables were paper core connected to tag frames. I am not talking about an exchange in a rural location I am referring to one of the busiest exchanges in the world at that time.
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Tue 08-Jan-19 09:29:07
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
Zargaz may be able to say how often he sees any!

What about me?! What do you think I do?

Itís a fair point about the E-side though, it simply didnít occur to me. Itís pressurised, and mostly we just do pair changes on that. Itís becoming less relevant these days anyway with FTTC.

But I can say the same as Zarjaz. Iíve only ever seen paper insulated cabling twice!

Icaras

Edited by Icaras (Tue 08-Jan-19 09:31:25)

Standard User dect
(learned) Tue 08-Jan-19 13:10:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
They wonít replace these E side cables now, no point, their services are to be less and less required with SOGEA coming and PSTN being phased out....
Think most people would agree that it doesn't make sense to replace those E sides now but although there is talk of phasing PSTN out its not going to happen until full fibre is wide spread which is not likely to happen any time soon with the continued rollout of G.fast. The PSTN network has served us well from the days of Strowger (loved watching those selectors do their stuff) through the TXE4 and System X days (not sure what is being used today).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to