General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Tue 08-Jan-19 13:53:58
Print Post

Re: Openreach monopoly and length of time to repair services

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Dect

OTA2 (OFCOM) update for Decemberissued today says stop PSTN sale in 4 years (2023) and close PSTN in 6 years (2025)

"WLR Withdrawal Programme

Following the consultation on WLR Withdrawal in 2018, the OTA2 have been working with Openreach to establish an industry engagement process. The main-focus is the jointly chaired steering group which has now met twice. A series of future engagements are being established for 2019. The main challenges will revolve around communication/awareness through the supply chain, covering wholesalers and resellers as well as identifying vulnerable customers and over the top services which can rely on traditional telephone access. The key dates of stop sell in 2023 and final closure in 2025 are some time away but will require all CPs (using WLR) to transition to an all IP service in good time."

PSTN is still Sys X, AXE0 and a tiny amount of 21CN TES in S Wales, plus UXD5 in small 600 odd tiny rural exchanges. That's why is has to close or it will fall apart!
Standard User dect
(learned) Tue 08-Jan-19 14:21:33
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Thanks for this update smile
In reply to a post by kitcat:
says stop PSTN sale in 4 years (2023) and close PSTN in 6 years (2025)
I remember reading a little while ago about the 2025 date for PSTN closure but when I read that the target for full fibre was estimated at 2033 I thought it wouldn't be possible.

It will be interesting to see what happens to those existing PSTN customers who can't get full fibre by then or even half decent broadband to support VOIP

Edited by dect (Tue 08-Jan-19 14:22:43)

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Tue 08-Jan-19 14:22:10
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Icarus

Apologies for missing you out!.

I am aware of a few people in different parts of OR on here, Zarjaz was just the first name that came to mind.( Partial on E-side, you and Zarjaz on D-Side and Customer prem, Witchunt in planning are the most prominent. There are others that appear occasionally.)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Tue 08-Jan-19 15:06:29
Print Post

Dect

VOIP doesn't need half decent BB. ( USO of 10Mb = Half decent BB) but only 128Kb (or less for cheap services). If the implementation gives a separate VLAN for VOIP, so that any data use does not contend, 128Kb is plenty. This is the sort of service BT's FVA service runs on using ORs FTTP 128kb path.

If you do not use a separate VLAN, priority settings on the packets can be set so that Voice has a higher priority than data giving the same result. Difficulty is that some providers set Video higher than voice so streaming can crash your voice service.

Sensible prioritisation would be Voice, Video, Data but you get what you pay for so cheap(free) = poor, expensive = good but expensive is relative, may only be £1.50-£2 month over the BB price. Calls should be cheaper than mobile as the only costly part is the routing/portability part and that is the same engine a mobile network uses.

VOIP works fine on ADSL at present, I had BT's first offering back in 200? on their HUB with an attached phone. Worked a treat back then.
Standard User dect
(learned) Tue 08-Jan-19 15:54:09
Print Post

Hi kitcat

Thanks for taking the time to explain this smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Jan-19 18:32:10
Print Post

Having sat through a day of this...

PSTN switch off does not mean copper ripped out of the ground, it means the WLR phone service in its current format will cease, and replaced with a voice over broadband (VOIP) product. So can still be delivered over copper e.g. in VDSL2 areas or even over BT Wholesale ADSL2+. Not an easy task as there are all those with a phone line and no broadband that need dealing with and vulnerable users who will get battery back up for the broadband device and phone

The copper has to remain to continue support for MPF i.e. those with devices that won't work with a VOIP style delivery can do things like switch to TalkTalk who as of 2018 was planning to carry on as they do now.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dect
(learned) Tue 08-Jan-19 19:17:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

A couple of things that just crossed my mind so I thought I would ask smile

will ADSL, VDSL and G.fast still work if the 20+ volts that is used to deliver the exchange line is removed (e.g. System X is switched off) from the line? I know ADSL can still work when there is one leg DIS but not sure if it will with both legs DIS at the exchange. Also if there is no dial tone on the pair is it more likely that faults will be caused by engineers nicking pairs in error. frown
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 08-Jan-19 19:24:42
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Also its not all the same specification, business users pay for more higher capacity links, and we pay per kilo Watt hour.
Very true. I wonder what the electricity market would look like if pricing was based on allowances and/or if unlimited consumption packages existed. Of course fundamentally the two cannot be compared because for all practical purposes bandwidth is not a consumable resource. You can't 'run out' of bandwidth the way you can run out of fuel for power stations.

Both do however suffer from contention. It's just much more difficult to overload a power substation or to fry the supply to a house. I've seen the supply to an office fried though that was due to severely unbalanced phases.

I get power cuts every christmas, which ironically is the highest load on the grid time of the year, so electric supply in the uk is not flawless.

This year they at least announced the outage before it happened, but since the outage when they also did some work, now everytime my boiler power cycles and my kettle is on at the same time, the lights flicker, and my UPS kicks in. I wonder if they reduced the capacity per property to try and stem the overload on the grid.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 08-Jan-19 19:27:53
Print Post

On ADSLx and FTTC the copper line is fed by the exchange or cabinet MSAN/DSLAM respectively. Not the MDF.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Tue 08-Jan-19 20:19:40
Print Post

Yes , xDSL will work quite happily without the 50v DC from the BT PSTN. WLR circuits are jumpered through the Dslam so effectively just disconning the PSTN equipment side will have no negative impact on xDSL services.
As Andrew already said those who have PSTN delivered from MPF services won't see any change unless those CPs decide to stop these services. They may see this as a good marketing opportunity.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to