General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kinshasa
(newbie) Tue 01-Jan-19 13:39:40
Print Post

The Mysterious case of my failed ADSL BB

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Well my ADSL BB suddenly stopped working after being stable and reasonably quick for a long time.

I have had the usual conversations with ISP about charges to fix etc. The fault is not on my premises. An OR person attended and says he checked back to street cab and exchange and there is no ADSL service on the line. The phone service works fine.

BT Wholesale attempted a soft cease and reprovide but this didnt work either. We are now told that a hard wired cease and reprovide is needed. The line is underground/ducted all the way.

I strongly suspect pair pinching?? Any ideas how this might have happened? Thanks all
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Jan-19 13:42:42
Print Post

Re: The Mysterious case of my failed ADSL BB

[re: kinshasa] [link to this post]

Why do you believe your pair hasnít been pinched ....

Is there dialling tone with the correct number on it at the house ?

Standard User kinshasa
(newbie) Tue 01-Jan-19 13:57:33
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

yes there is a dial tone and phone service works both ways with correct CLID showing..

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Jan-19 14:03:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by kinshasa:
yes there is a dial tone and phone service works both ways with correct CLID showing..

So your pair hasnít been pinched.

Sounds to me more like your ISP requested a cease which has been carried out. Why did they not raise an SFI task with Openreach when you reported the broadband issue, rather than raising a voice fault ?

Who is your ISP ?

Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Tue 01-Jan-19 14:25:56
Print Post

Hi

As others have said if you have a dial tone and the correct number your pair is still yours.

It could be many reasons it has stopped working, the ADSL card in the exchange has broken or a wire has been pulled out or disturbed whilst other work went on in the exchange.

We had ADSL just stop when we had it and it took days and days to sort out, turned out once it had been reported to the exchange it just needed a card reset issued and it worked fine for years after that until we moved to FTTC.

The main problem is getting someone (or the correct people) involved to fix it. Why they are attempting to reorder the service or cease and re-provide it is beyond me, it just needs flagging as a fault and fixing. If it's a cease and re-provide it may just mean nothing is done at all as it will all be software turning off and turning back on again and admin management on the account, this will fix nothing if it is just a wire hanging out.

Regards

Phil
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Jan-19 16:35:11
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

a wire has been pulled out or disturbed whilst other work went on in the exchange.

Nope, that would give a no dial tone fault too.

As I mentioned earlier, have the OPís broadband service provider raise an SFI task, the engineer who attends will have all the necessary skills to fix the issue wherever it lies. Or maybe the CP cannot, as they have triggered a cease ... they cannot raise an SFI task if thereís no live BB service on the line.

This talk of the cease and reprovide is the clue. It has been ceased in error by the CP, they ought to grow a pair and admit it to the OP.

Standard User dect
(newbie) Tue 01-Jan-19 16:57:39
Print Post

Are you saying that the DEL and ADSL are NOT double jumped on the main cable pair (leaving the exchange)? if they are then its possible the ADSL jumper could be the issue without losing dial tone.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Tue 01-Jan-19 17:13:14
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

No. Dial tone is passed through a filter in the Dslam hardware where xDSL is injected before returning to the MDF where it connects to the line out to the customer. Any disconnect would result in NDT. It seems a cease of the ADSL is the most likely cause. either accidentally or deliberately from the ISPs perspective.

Edited by witchunt (Tue 01-Jan-19 17:13:57)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Jan-19 17:16:30
Print Post

On a BTw circuit it goes ..
Dial tone out to
DSL in
DSL out
Bar pair out to line.

LLU goes ..
LLU dial tone and DSL out to
TAMS in
TAMS out
Bar pair out to line.

There are some other quirks, SMPF and the like, but nine times out of ten, if you have your dial tone at the property, then thereís no Ďbroken wire in the exchangeí as the poster suggested

Standard User dect
(newbie) Tue 01-Jan-19 17:20:29
Print Post

I didn't realise that, I wrongly assumed it was double jumped, now knowing what you and witchunt have said it makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for this information
Standard User kinshasa
(newbie) Tue 01-Jan-19 18:52:10
Print Post

Thanks all for the input,,,,i had hoped that the initial visit by OR would fix this and that he would have sufficient level of training and authority to go and do whatever was needed to fix the problem. This doesnt seem to be the case. He initiated a soft C&R with BT wholesale. They did this but it was a no fix. A visit has now been raised for SFI . As suggested, all i want is for the fault to be found and corrected asap and also for those responsible for the fault to fess up and learn from the experience so hopefully preventing it from happening again to other EU's... I am hoping to get final info on this and a full explanation.

PS..the ISP is plusnet

Edited by kinshasa (Tue 01-Jan-19 18:53:02)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Jan-19 20:08:43
Print Post

Is it worth trying to contact a Plusnet rep via this forum ?

That the first visit wasnít an SFI is somewhat telling. When one does arrive make sure he demonstrates PPP via the test login on their tester bt_test_user@startup_domain
If this authenticates, then the issue is with PNís home gateway.

Youíve not said, but Iím guessing sync but no internet ?

Standard User kinshasa
(newbie) Tue 01-Jan-19 20:34:13
Print Post

No,,its no sync on router... router shows disconnected and sync light is off. Tried on two separate routers just for certainty.

Edited by kinshasa (Tue 01-Jan-19 20:38:29)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Jan-19 20:47:30
Print Post

Righto.....

so if youíve no sync, but they have been able to raise an SFI, then it should be fixable by the SFI visit. A lift and shift in the exchange maybe ...

Fingers crossed for you, and please return with the resolution when you have it.

Standard User kinshasa
(newbie) Sat 05-Jan-19 18:16:11
Print Post

Well the issue was finally sorted by the SFI who apparently spent several hours on the issue. Checking my modem i now seem to have a very stable line with good uptime and a higher sync rate than previously,,at a very respectable 8.3Mb

I wasnt here when he visited but i got avague explanation from my isp about having to replace some jumper cables at the exchange...meh..i guess the EU never gets to hear what happens and all these things are dealt with internally and isps/OR fight amongst themselves re costs..
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to