General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 50pence
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Jan-19 13:29:12
Print Post

Which phone and BB service providers offer VAT receipts?

[link to this post]

Hello,

I posted on the PlusNet pages about PlusNet's decision not to provide VAT invoices for residential services and the fact that they don't offer entertainment packages with business services. So you can't get VAT invoices and entertainment packages without having two lines and two BB packages which is ridiculous.

It's perfectly legitimate to claim the VAT on a proportion of your home phone and broadband services if you do some work at home, though of course you cannot claim the VAT on the entertainment packages.

So the question is, which home phone and broadband providers offer entertainment packages and offer VAT receipts, either automatically or upon request?

Thanks.

Paperless office - Never! | Wireless home - April 2004.

ISP: plusnet
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Jan-19 13:45:06
Print Post

Re: Which phone and BB service providers offer VAT receipts?

[re: 50pence] [link to this post]

There aren't many that offer entertainment packages that I know of. I believe it is PlusNet, BT and TalkTalk. So, probably only 2 suppliers you need to check VAT position and Ts&Cs for using the line for business.
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Thu 03-Jan-19 20:52:00
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The need for a VAT receipt is probably not the right way to look at it. The bigger problem is finding an ISP that allows business use, and offers an entertainment package that is affordable. Most will assume that the entertainment package is for business use (e.g. a pub) and charge an eye watering amount.
The cheaper option is to use a residential service if that level of service is sufficient (such as Plusnet) and not reclaim the VAT, just claim against tax.
Of course, Plusnet don't allow home-working or business use with a residential account, but they are unlikely to notice, and the worst they can do is cancel the account.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Jan-19 08:55:48
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

PlusNet do allow home working as long as it is relatively low level - they just don't allow a business to be run on a residential connection - not sure if you have seen the thread to date over in the PlusNet forum where it has been discussed at length.
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Fri 04-Jan-19 10:38:12
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Yes, I have been involved in those discussions. Their T&C's allow a few work related e-mails a week. I work from home full time, which is not allowed.
Standard User derekdel
(committed) Fri 04-Jan-19 17:58:47
Print Post

[re: 50pence] [link to this post]

UNO & AA do have VAT
Standard User 50pence
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Jan-19 11:11:05
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sheephouse:
Yes, I have been involved in those discussions. Their T&C's allow a few work related e-mails a week. I work from home full time, which is not allowed.

That was my thread in the PlusNet forum.

PlusNet are not saying to me that they have a problem with me working at home using the residential product, the issue is that they won't provide VAT invoices on a residential product and won't provide entertainment packages on a business product.

Paperless office - Never! | Wireless home - April 2004.

ISP: plusnet
  Print Thread

Jump to