General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BlokeDownPub
(newbie) Sat 05-Jan-19 09:48:20
Print Post

Journeying to the dark ages

[link to this post]

Hi, new to this forum. Looking for your thoughts.

Recently moved to Vodafone from Plusnet and seeing a significant drop in both reliability and speeds, so thinking of jumping whilst I still can. What I've realised though is that as it's only me using the broadband in the house, I don't need all that 40mbps of fibrey goodness. 10mbps should be fine.

So should/can I drop back to ADSL? Would I see the same contention issues as I'm currently seeing where the speed can drop by 80%, or as the base bandwidth is lower, is it likely to be that the data rate is more consistent?

Ta muchly.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-Jan-19 09:59:17
Print Post

Re: Journeying to the dark ages

[re: BlokeDownPub] [link to this post]

Contention will usually be felt again if you stay with the same provider.

Was the switch from Vodafone to PlusNet you going from ADSL to fibre (FTTC) in which case the instability may be down to phone extension wiring in the home, for ADSL this had less of an impact but is more visible on the faster FTTC services.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sat 05-Jan-19 10:21:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi there, no, both fibre, and moved from Plusnet to Vodafone.

I'm within the 30 day cooling off so would move to someone else, before I'm tied in for the 18 months.

Just trying to figure out whether if keeping with fibre I'm paying for something I'm not ultimately making good use of. What I don't want though is to move back to ADSL to then find streaming goes to the wall.

I know I was getting reasonable ADSL speeds before moving to fibre three years ago, but if at peak times I'm choked to 3mbps say, then that wouldn't be good.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 05-Jan-19 10:26:48
Print Post

What were those “reasonable” ADSL speeds? Which ISP was that with?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
(newbie) Sat 05-Jan-19 10:57:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Before I moved to fibre I was with TalkTalk. IIRC I was getting around 11mbps,

If contention can frequently drop throughput by 80% across the board, for both fibre and ADSL, then that would be problematic.

So for fibre, 40mpbs dropping to 16mpbs is doable, but if on ADSL 11mbps dropped frequently to 2mbps, that would be unusable, for streaming anyway.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-Jan-19 11:04:05
Print Post

Contention is often very unlike a 80% drop, it usually if it hits hard is also accompanied by packet loss and higher latency which may interfere with streaming even if the speed is still there.

Impossible to predict what will be contention free or better until you do it, and if lots of others in the area make the same move the contention problem may follow.

Only answer is to try, but I'd swap to another fibre service unless cost is a major factor and even then the cheap fibre deals are only marginally more than the ADSL

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 05-Jan-19 11:46:47
Print Post

As MrSaffron says, I’d feel a lot safer with the 40Mbps. Even 11Mpbs throughput is pushing it for streaming services these days if you want decent definition.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
(newbie) Sat 05-Jan-19 14:03:01
Print Post

Thanks both. Yes, sticking with fibre sounds the safest option.
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Sat 05-Jan-19 16:24:01
Print Post

Maybe you had good reason to leave Plusnet but they seem happy to give 35Mb fibre for the price of ADSL 10-12Mb. I recently renewed onto a two yr contract for an extra penny per month. And no, I didn't need higher speed either but it's handy for the rare occasions when we watch catchup TV or download family movies. 100% reliable since joining them in July 2014.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Jan-19 18:26:48
Print Post

The current Plusnet offer for 38Mbps VDSL costs very much the same as Vodafone for the 18 month contract.
Reliablity maybe be due to the poor DSL ability of the Vodafone router. It is possible to use a separate modem connected to the concealed WAN port on the Vodafone router. Moving to a different supplier is an easy way to avoid problems of contention in the evenings.

Michael Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Jan-19 18:43:41
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Malwaremike:
Maybe you had good reason to leave Plusnet but they seem happy to give 35Mb fibre for the price of ADSL 10-12Mb. I recently renewed onto a two yr contract for an extra penny per month. And no, I didn't need higher speed either but it's handy for the rare occasions when we watch catchup TV or download family movies. 100% reliable since joining them in July 2014.
At the moment I could order Plusnet ADSL + phone line for £18.99 permmonth for 18th month contract, so have you managed to get VDSL + phone line for £19 pm for 24 months or are you paying more?

Michael Chare
(newbie) Sun 06-Jan-19 11:31:41
Print Post

They wouldn't budge from £26.99 a month. Vodafone were offering £22 on 18 month contract + £50 cashback, so a bit of a saving.

Now Boradband looks quite appealing at £25.50 a month, on a 12 month contract, giving unlimited anytime calls.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Jan-19 12:24:01
Print Post

Really? I get HD Netflix with my 8Mbps connection with no issues.
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Sun 06-Jan-19 13:13:01
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

My PN contract is fibre BB £5.99 pm
Anytime call plan £7pm
Total £12.99 pm on a 24 mth contract; paid monthly by DD once the awful PN accounts system could be coaxed to accept it.

You have to ring sales, wait up to half an hour, and ask for this deal, it won't arrive automatically! I rang a few months before my identical ADSL contract at £12.98pm was due to finish and the (very helpful) operator arranged the BB contract renewal to coincide with annual line rental, which helps if one wants to switch ISPs. Two friends and a relative have since been given a similar deal and are very pleased so far (but two of them were with TT and one with Sky).

Line rental is paid in advance £197.88. Hope this helps and good luck!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 06-Jan-19 13:49:15
Print Post

So for comparison purposes, that equals £29.48pm.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 06-Jan-19 13:49:50)

(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Jan-19 15:46:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
So for comparison purposes, that equals £29.48pm.
That includes the £7 pm for anytime call plan. £22.48 without the calls which is 11% dearer than, for example, Vodafone's £20.00.

Michael Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Jan-19 15:49:55
Print Post

Thank you. I did try something similar when my Plusent ADSL contract came to an end but without success as the exchange was one of the high cost ones. The exchange has been reclassified as low cost so when my current contract comes to an end in March I may move back.

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to