General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User teshy
(newbie) Thu 24-Jan-19 11:03:51
Print Post

Virgin Media cable-run question

[link to this post]

Apologies, I had posted this question in one of the ISP comments threads, not sure if it was receiving any views so deleted and re-posting here.

Over the previous 12 months or so, Virgin Media have been working on my road. Initially they seemed to be laying cable and putting up cabinets about a mile down the road from me.

They stopped about half a mile away (this was around five or six months ago), so one end of the road is VM enabled, while my end is not.

Since the beginning of January, VM contractors have reappeared, digging up pavements and grass verges at my end of the road and now a grey cabinet is going up directly opposite my driveway. This cabinet is across the road from me.

My question is, if I ever want to sign up with VM, how do they run the cables across roads? Should I be expecting them to dig up the road to put their cables underground to get to my side of the road? Or, do they run the cables overhead?

Also, I've read on other forums that, for enabling a property for VM, their preference is to lay the cable under the front lawn ... assuming there is a lawn, because most houses on this road have their fronts paved up so there is no way they are running the cable under the ground to run cables into houses. Again, if I wanted to sign up with VM, are they able to run the cable along a boundary wall/fence and then into the house? The current BT telephone cable (connected to an OR FTTC enabled cabinet 100m away, giving me a sync of 80/20), is overhead and runs down my front wall and then into the house.

Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Jan-19 14:58:41
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media cable-run question

[re: teshy] [link to this post]

Usually cross roads underground

On the property wall/fence can be used or paving lifted and replaced

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Jan-19 15:23:29
Print Post

In my experience unless VM have put a little manhole cover (small square pop up) next to your property they won't dig to your property, they'll only go from the laid pipe to your property, Ive had friends who one side of the street was cabled, their side wasn't and they couldn't get service.

Do you have a small VM plastic square on the street on the outside of your property

https://manhole.co.il/Images/covers/c507.jpg (in non project lighting areas)

https://manhole.co.il/Images/covers/c1421.jpg (newer ones that i think are in project lighting areas)

As for laying cable to your property from this manhole cover, mine comes in under the grass they dug a small trench down a wall.

Edited by BuckleZ (Thu 24-Jan-19 15:25:06)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 24-Jan-19 15:27:48
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

Ours are round holes, put in by NTL.

There are also several places where the trenches have to cross the roads of the estate, but do so in such a way as to supply the small street cabinets each side at most once at each end.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Thu 24-Jan-19 20:05:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ours are triangles, Bradford Cable in the 1990's...

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User teshy
(newbie) Fri 25-Jan-19 09:58:36
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

Edited to correct a typo in sync speeds.

In my experience unless VM have put a little manhole cover (small square pop up) next to your property they won't dig to your property, they'll only go from the laid pipe to your property, Ive had friends who one side of the street was cabled, their side wasn't and they couldn't get service.

The first half or so mile of the road which was cabled - they have these manhole covers on both sides of the road, so properties on both sides can be connected to VM.

Do you have a small VM plastic square on the street on the outside of your property

On my end of the road, the only item that has gone up so far is a grey cabinet across the road from my property. I am sure there have been no cables laid as yet to connect up this cabinet, and there are no manhole covers on either side of the road at this end of the road.

I think I'll just have to wait and see what happens when the work begins to lay the fibre cables at my end of the road. I can't see them not enabling my side of the road, as across the road there is more empty space and the higher density is on my side.

Fortunately, I am approximately 100 metres away from an OR FTTC enabled cabinet and my modem syncs at 79999 down and 20000 up and I'm not in a situation where I need higher bandwidth. And in any case, I think I would probably stick with my current ISP but having the option of VM would be nice. I think OR FTTP is a few years away for my area.

Edited by teshy (Fri 25-Jan-19 11:43:55)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 25-Jan-19 11:05:02
Print Post

Just a point if information smile.

There is a big difference between how VDSL2 (Openreach FTTC) and VM “cable” (DOCSIS of various versions) is delivered.

With Openreach FTTC there are a few phone cabinets (PCPs) serving lots of houses, and they are FTTC-enabled by having a fibre cabinet installed close to them and they are interconnected to get the VDSL2 onto your copper.

On VM there is a similar number of large cabinets where their fibre terminates, just like the Openreach fibre cabinets. From those it is coax copper cable to the small and numerous VM cabinets, which the one opposite might be one of. Those small ones can be compared logically to a cabinet version of a huge telegraph pole or Openreach underground equivalent, where the individual copper lines to the premises originate. In VM’s case two coppers, coax for the broadband and AIUI phone type for the phone. (At least in the original NTL supply in my area).

Scroll down this page to see a typical VM Master and a couple of street slave cabinets in my area.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User teshy
(newbie) Fri 25-Jan-19 12:02:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the information. It clarifies for me how the VM street infrastructure works compared to the OR infrastructure.

I have seen a large grey VM cabinet about a mile up the road, and next to it there is a smaller one.

Across the road from me, a small grey cabinet has been placed. However, the contractors are still there and seem to be preparing an area next to it for another cabinet.

On my way home this evening, I will try to see if I can spot any smaller grey cabinets.

In any case, for now, this is all for info as VM contractors are still working on various sections of the road and the VM online checker still says that my address cannot receive VM services.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 25-Jan-19 12:34:56
Print Post

smile

Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Fri 25-Jan-19 21:05:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I am having 'lightening' installed near me, and there is an underground street crossing adjacent to each local cabinet
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to