General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User teshy
(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-19 10:15:55
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media cable-run question

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

For what it's worth, I can see that VM contractors have blocked my drive and are digging up the pavement right now.

Edited by teshy (Mon 28-Jan-19 10:18:55)

Standard User DRW
(committed) Mon 28-Jan-19 11:30:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In our case the cable was placed in the green tube and laid across a garden bed resting on the plants. When asked why the cable had not been laid next to the side hedge the guy said that it was very prickly by the hedge so he left it on the bed. We cannot move it closer to the hedge because there are several tall trees such that the cable cannot be lifted over them.

Moral to this tale - be in close attendance when the cable is being laid from the street to the house to ensure that it is placed as you would like.
Standard User gary333
(newbie) Tue 05-Feb-19 21:11:32
Print Post

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

One thing I have noticed on my own estate (where the "Project Lightening" has been infilling areas) is that the contractors are following Virgin Media new build guidlines for 'tee' location rather than following the usual approach to pre-existing houses.

This means the tees (the little chamber on the path for each house) are being placed in line with the hallway / to the side of the front door. This is because new builds are supposed to be fully wired across multiple rooms if the builder is allowing VM to be present for phone, TV and internet. When the cable networks were originally installed the contractors used logic that being a CATV the likely place for the set top box was in the living room so lined the tees to the corner of the living room for a straight path for the cable.

Doesn't seem like much but can mean you get ugly wires clipped to the wall around the front of your house if they dig a straight line to your house. Hopefully the cable pullers leave enough cable to allow the cable to go diagonal if you don't want this - but you can bet they probably don't.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to