General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 01-Feb-19 18:49:16
Print Post

Re: BT TELEPHONE CALL THREAT

[re: DanielCoffey67] [link to this post]

Are you sure you have the version of Truecall that is integral to the BT 8610 series? Which I bought and installed in November 2107. (I think now superceded). I believe the system has gone through several phases, and IIRC is or was also different to that available through the network for non-BT branded phones. AIUI the network system isn't as powerful.

I have my contact list in it, and a few I didn't enter who came through on the Announce system so I added and named them. That happens with both Mobile and Landline incoming of course.

I haven't bothered with a Block list, as obviously that is pointless for spam/phishing prevention. It's only useful for known valid numbers. Similarly, whitelist? That does sound like a network system. Is that the Contact list or something almost identical?

International comprises most of the unwanted ones of course.

Only one phisher/spammer ever went to the phone's answer-machine in all that time. There are many "Unnotified calls" per week with weird numbers, exactly the type that showed up when they came in on my previous non-filtering system. I just click through them on the calls list when I remember to keep it clean. Only the missed calls from contacts show up as a count on the main screen, like the answerphone count.

I don't see your problem, other than the faulty Jersey network system. I'm surprised your parents are repeatedly confused when they hit the "Announce" system when it occurs. I know several 80+ and a few 90+ people, being in the mid-70s myself, who are well up to understanding that sort of thing once it's explained.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Feb-19 19:31:20
Print Post

[re: DanielCoffey67] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DanielCoffey67:
Unless you have TruCall set to its most aggressive, plenty of the spoofed numbers will still get through.
They might get through the blocking but I don't know of any that 'get through' Whisper. I see the red light coming on now and again but it usually goes off after a few seconds. They hear the message and they decide not to bother.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Fri 01-Feb-19 19:41:35)

Standard User dsergeant
(member) Sat 02-Feb-19 06:58:34
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In the past the spoofed caller ID numbers would appear in sites such as 'who called me' and you could quickly see they were spammers. Recently the numbers seem to be totally random, often but not always unallocated numbers, and only used once. Very few now appear in those sites - and it is also clearly pointless adding them to a blocklist. Most of mine seem to be from 'BT'.

I don't have a special phone, I just look at the caller ID on the phone and don't answer any which look suspicious - and never 'unavailable' or 'international'. I have BT Caller Protect on my account but it is quite honestly pointless due to rapidly changing spoofed numbers.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 02-Feb-19 08:14:37
Print Post

[re: dsergeant] [link to this post]

The thing is that a Truecall-equipped phone stops it even ringing for nuisance calls.

You say you look at the screen, which interrupts what you are doing: having a conversation; listening to music; watching TV or a stream; gaming or whatever. You might even need to have to get up and walk across to the phone.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Feb-19 14:23:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The thing is that a Truecall-equipped phone stops it even ringing for nuisance calls.

Team with answer phone and you can sit there safe in the knowledge that anyone you know is calling you will leave a message.
If there is no message then it's not important.

Can't remember that last time I answered the home phone.....

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User helpoort
(committed) Sat 02-Feb-19 15:25:55
Print Post

Thanks for ALL your replies
Suggestions noted.
Appreciated
Helpoort
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Feb-19 17:40:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Exactly. It's like having a personal secretary to screen incoming calls. If the number is recognised it lets the call straight through. If not it tells the caller that you're screening calls then asks them to say their name and/or press a random key so that it can ask you if you want to take the call.

At that point 99.9% of cold callers give up and end the call so the secretary doesn't have to disturb you.

A great system smile

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Sun 03-Feb-19 13:41:15
Print Post

Aggravates the hell out of me when I ring someone who knows me well enough but does not have my number held on their system.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Feb-19 15:10:27
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
Aggravates the hell out of me when I ring someone who knows me well enough but does not have my number held on their system.
Lol, maybe they don't like you wink

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 03-Feb-19 15:20:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andrue:
In reply to a post by GonePostal:
Lol, maybe they don't like you wink
Not this?

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to