General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User helpoort
(committed) Fri 01-Feb-19 16:23:28
Print Post

BT TELEPHONE CALL THREAT

[link to this post]

Keep receiving telephone calls from It is claimed 'BT technical department'
Stating BT are cutting off my Internet connection.
To avoid this " Press One" on telephone.

Have been getting these calls for several weeks.
Interested to hear if others are receiving similar calls.
And if there is, a way of having them stopped.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Feb-19 16:43:41
Print Post

Re: BT TELEPHONE CALL THREAT

[re: helpoort] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by helpoort:

https://www.truecall.co.uk/

Also available built in to at least one of BT's telephone models. I've not had to deal with any cold callers for several years now.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Feb-19 16:50:28
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

A second vote for a BT Truecall phone, works a treat.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Fri 01-Feb-19 17:05:59
Print Post

Had them regularly over the past year. You can report them to OFCOM / ICO with time date and originating number ( they are all non valid numbers but OFCOM can get the correct number from Operators call records). I expect they are all from outside the EU (suspect India) or OFCOM would have slapped a large fine by now.

Occasionally I press 1 for fun and when the technical dept answers ask them to hold and walk away from the phone. Had a rant from one for wasting his expensive time once, quite an amusing response.

Only a phone service that answers for you like trucall will stop them, BTs call barring 1572 service will block individual numbers but as they generate random ones this won't stop them.

OFCOM needs to penalise the operators that connect them into this country without the correct international markers to have a serious attempt to stop these.

Others are the "Microsoft help desk" and "HMRC tax investigation" all are just designed to frighten you into giving some details for them to scam.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 01-Feb-19 17:09:45
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
And a third. One did get through to the answering machine, once.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Feb-19 17:20:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by helpoort:

Just ignore them, our answer phone gets them all the time, I have always made a note of the calling number and passing them over to BT.

The classic one was when an actual person phoned the landline stating they was from BT and that they was also going to cut off out broadband, I said no you are not and that I work for BT (I don't BTW LOL) where they then said you F****ing don't, where I responded "yes I do, and we especially don't talk to our customers like that" and when I asked for the department they are from they cussed at me once again laughed and hung up.

Sadly most if not all of these calls are using spoofed numbers and they are using VoIP, I am guessing they do this hoping you press one where they either get you to give out your details or worse get you to install software on your devices giving them control of it.

Which is why I say "JUST IGNORE THE CALL" and BT told me the following when I have reported it to them and also linked a partial recordings of the call like the the following >> MP3 << the answerphone cut off the start of the message, but they introduced themselves as being BT, I knew they wasn't BT due to for one BT never phones our landline they have a first point of contact number that that use, but a lot of people might fall for it.

Anyhow this is what BT told me:
That's perfect thanks for that Paul. I'll send this onto the team for investigation. Please see our new BT Call Protect to prevent these calls coming through in future http://www.bt.com/callprotect.

I then told them that they cannot stop any of these types of calles due to they are using spoofed numbers when they make the calls where BT then told me the following:
Thanks Paul it is something we're working hard on trying to stop and prevent these getting through.

Basically BT need to force phone gateways to not allow for Spoofed Numbers and that the Gateway itself should be held responsible if their services are used for malicious purposes like this.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Feb-19 17:35:31
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:

We now have one of those types of phones, you will never be able to block them by phone number due to they are spoofed numbers and all you will be doing is filling up your list of blocked numbers.

But with True Call the automated message system is kind of cool, sadly it confused most of our elderly family relatives when they tried to phone, even though we explained what they have to do, so we had to turn it off.

Blocking by call type i.e. overseas, withheld etc are useless.
My nans phone number is withheld by default, along with some hospital phone calls so we cannot block those.
Overseas, premium and alike yeah, we can block those.

But the scam calls are using local type numbers like 020 numbers, so there is nothing stopping them, even if True Call was enabled, the BT Scammer phones, gets asked to say who they are, they respond "BT" our phone rings saying "you have a caller from [BT] do you want to accept the call " so how has this stopped it.
You might as well just screen the calls.

Sure a load won't bother like the automated spam rubbish.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Feb-19 17:41:26
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

I totally agree with you.

TBH BT could just stop allowing phone calls from a gateway that are know to send spoofed calls from.

Or we could have the gateways all be allocated a block of numbers like IP's and any other numbers that are coming from that gateway that are not allocated by it are then blocked / rejected.

And for people that port their old BT number to a VoIP service, that gateway will be allocate that number.

Paul

Standard User DanielCoffey67
(learned) Fri 01-Feb-19 18:00:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Unless you have TruCall set to its most aggressive, plenty of the spoofed numbers will still get through.

I have Withheld numbers always blocked, International are also blocked since I do not expect to receive any, Mobile and Unknown set to Announce, the Whitelist gets through and the Blocklist never does.

One issue I have bumped into several times is incoming landline calls from Jersey. My parents are on the Whitelist and usually get through fine but I think that sometimes Jersey fails to transmit the correct Caller ID so it falls back into the Unknown category and hits the Announce group instead which confuses my parents every time.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Feb-19 18:33:31
Print Post

Depends on how they call your number if they call from spoofed geographic landline numbers call screeners like true call will not block them unless these numbers are in their database, and many aren't then there is the number withheld or no number, but if you dial 1471 the number is revealed
Just don't answer, these are The same Tech support scammers, their ultimate aim is to get remote access to your PC so they can scam you, by tricking you into logging into your bank whilst they are still remotely connected
Or they will once given remote access use the windows SAM lock tool to lock you out of your computer by setting a password and then asking you to pay a ransom for the the password they set
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 01-Feb-19 18:49:16
Print Post

[re: DanielCoffey67] [link to this post]

Are you sure you have the version of Truecall that is integral to the BT 8610 series? Which I bought and installed in November 2107. (I think now superceded). I believe the system has gone through several phases, and IIRC is or was also different to that available through the network for non-BT branded phones. AIUI the network system isn't as powerful.

I have my contact list in it, and a few I didn't enter who came through on the Announce system so I added and named them. That happens with both Mobile and Landline incoming of course.

I haven't bothered with a Block list, as obviously that is pointless for spam/phishing prevention. It's only useful for known valid numbers. Similarly, whitelist? That does sound like a network system. Is that the Contact list or something almost identical?

International comprises most of the unwanted ones of course.

Only one phisher/spammer ever went to the phone's answer-machine in all that time. There are many "Unnotified calls" per week with weird numbers, exactly the type that showed up when they came in on my previous non-filtering system. I just click through them on the calls list when I remember to keep it clean. Only the missed calls from contacts show up as a count on the main screen, like the answerphone count.

I don't see your problem, other than the faulty Jersey network system. I'm surprised your parents are repeatedly confused when they hit the "Announce" system when it occurs. I know several 80+ and a few 90+ people, being in the mid-70s myself, who are well up to understanding that sort of thing once it's explained.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Feb-19 19:31:20
Print Post

[re: DanielCoffey67] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DanielCoffey67:
Unless you have TruCall set to its most aggressive, plenty of the spoofed numbers will still get through.
They might get through the blocking but I don't know of any that 'get through' Whisper. I see the red light coming on now and again but it usually goes off after a few seconds. They hear the message and they decide not to bother.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Fri 01-Feb-19 19:41:35)

Standard User dsergeant
(member) Sat 02-Feb-19 06:58:34
Print Post

In the past the spoofed caller ID numbers would appear in sites such as 'who called me' and you could quickly see they were spammers. Recently the numbers seem to be totally random, often but not always unallocated numbers, and only used once. Very few now appear in those sites - and it is also clearly pointless adding them to a blocklist. Most of mine seem to be from 'BT'.

I don't have a special phone, I just look at the caller ID on the phone and don't answer any which look suspicious - and never 'unavailable' or 'international'. I have BT Caller Protect on my account but it is quite honestly pointless due to rapidly changing spoofed numbers.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 02-Feb-19 08:14:37
Print Post

[re: dsergeant] [link to this post]

The thing is that a Truecall-equipped phone stops it even ringing for nuisance calls.

You say you look at the screen, which interrupts what you are doing: having a conversation; listening to music; watching TV or a stream; gaming or whatever. You might even need to have to get up and walk across to the phone.

Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Feb-19 14:23:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The thing is that a Truecall-equipped phone stops it even ringing for nuisance calls.

Team with answer phone and you can sit there safe in the knowledge that anyone you know is calling you will leave a message.
If there is no message then it's not important.

Can't remember that last time I answered the home phone.....

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User helpoort
(committed) Sat 02-Feb-19 15:25:55
Print Post

Thanks for ALL your replies
Suggestions noted.
Appreciated
Helpoort
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Feb-19 17:40:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Exactly. It's like having a personal secretary to screen incoming calls. If the number is recognised it lets the call straight through. If not it tells the caller that you're screening calls then asks them to say their name and/or press a random key so that it can ask you if you want to take the call.

At that point 99.9% of cold callers give up and end the call so the secretary doesn't have to disturb you.

A great system smile

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Sun 03-Feb-19 13:41:15
Print Post

Aggravates the hell out of me when I ring someone who knows me well enough but does not have my number held on their system.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Feb-19 15:10:27
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
Aggravates the hell out of me when I ring someone who knows me well enough but does not have my number held on their system.
Lol, maybe they don't like you wink

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 03-Feb-19 15:20:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andrue:
In reply to a post by GonePostal:
Lol, maybe they don't like you wink
Not this?

Standard User Sylcol
(committed) Mon 04-Feb-19 20:31:56
Print Post

I normally leave my phone switched to answer phone these days, if it is a genuine call from someone they will leave a message and I can call back.
Recently because the phone was right next to me I have answered two calls from UK numbers which I did not know. On both occasions the caller has insisted that I had called them because my number was saved by their phone.
No such calls had been made from my number. I had not previously heard of "spoofing" but this would seem to be the case with these two calls.
Am I to understand that had those people answered their phones it would have been someone trying some kind of scam, and because my spoofed number was left they could not be traced.
Heaven knows why or how my number was used.

Anyone else had similar?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to