General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Sat 09-Feb-19 13:50:35
Print Post

Slower speeds with bridged router.

[link to this post]

Hello folks.

I'm having a slight problem with speeds in bridge mode. I'll try explain my setup below and see if anyone know what's causing the issue.

4g router (Three b311) to tp link connected via ethernet (Tp link beside 4g router in living room) Tp link connected to ethernet to asus router (in bedroom 10m away)

I've tested speeds with the ethernet that's connected from tp link to the bedroom directly, no router at all and get around 60-80. When i connect said ethernet to my asus router (need the ethernet slots to connect devices) the speed goes down to 20-25 both on wireless and hardwired.

I thought QoS was the problem but no router has it enabled.

I replaced the asus with an old technicolor, this fixed the problem but the wifi performance was terrible, i would rather not use it if i can help it, eye sore too.

Does anyone know what could cause this?

Thank you.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Feb-19 14:21:23
Print Post

Re: Slower speeds with bridged router.

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

I replaced the asus with an old technicolor, this fixed the problem

Does anyone know what could cause this?

The Asus ??

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Sat 09-Feb-19 14:32:22
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Correct. The Asus is indeed causing this. I should have asked, is there something i'm missing that could cause this within the Asus routers settings. I assumed that was implied though. Obviously not..

Edited by woodmass14 (Sat 09-Feb-19 14:36:10)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User brookheather
(regular) Sat 09-Feb-19 15:24:28
Print Post

Try a factory reset on the Asus in case there is some QoS setting still enabled (even though the UI shows it as disabled).
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Feb-19 15:44:56
Print Post

What are the models? You describe:

Three B311 -> TPLink -> TPLink -> Asus

I assume the TPLink devices are homeplug ethernet over mains units? And you're connecting the cable to the WAN port on the Asus?

You've then swapped the Asus with a Technicolor router and faster speeds, but poor wifi.

What are the models? Is the Asus or Technicolor a router that could be fighting for DHCP with the B311 ?

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync highest was 61/8 now 54/6
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Sat 09-Feb-19 15:54:25
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Apologies. Should have stated that in original post. Thanks for the reply.

B311 4g router 192.168.8.1 (WI-FI off)

TP-LINK N600 TD-W8980 (On dedicated bridge mode, option for it) 192.168.1.1

Asus DSL N16 192.168.2.1

"Three B311 -> TPLink -> TPLink -> Asus" This is correct.

From the research i've done, DHCP has come up a lot. I know nothing about it to be honest. I've tried switching it off on the Asus router but leaves me with no internet or unable to assign an ip address to devices (if connected to the asus). I thought the tp-link would have assigned an ip address but don't think it works like that.

Though i've changed all routers lan ip addresses which i'll state above.

To add: If i swap the asus and the tp link i also get normal speeds. Like the technicolor.
The Tp link is connected to b311 using the wan port. The tp link then connects to the asus wan port.

Edited by woodmass14 (Sat 09-Feb-19 16:00:28)

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Sat 09-Feb-19 15:59:47
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

Thank you for the reply. I've had to reset it multiple times due to user error but no luck so far.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 12-Feb-19 14:26:46
Print Post

After hours of troubleshooting i still haven't figured out what's causing this. I'm going to rule out 1 of the routers entirely by getting an ethernet switch to plug directly into the only port the B311 has. See if that sorts the issue out.
Standard User TechServ
(newbie) Tue 12-Feb-19 15:03:08
Print Post

You need to decide what device you want to use as a router. Not sure why you have the TP-LINK N600 TD-W8980 in bridge mode.

If you dont want to use the B311 as the main router, then connect as follows

B311 LAN to N600 WAN (setup N600 for WAN not ADSL,, check DHCP server starts at 192.168.1.10)

Before connecting the Asus to the N600, login and turn off DHCP on the Asus and set IP address to static (say 192.168.1.2)

Then connect the Asus LAN port to N600 LAN port - do not use Asus WAN port for anything! The Asus is now just a WiFi AP and Switch.

That should sort you connections

192.168.8.1 should be accessible from any device to check 4G connection
192.168.1.1 should be your primary router (& DHCP server)
192.168.1.2 is only for setting up Asus WiFi.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 12-Feb-19 15:38:13
Print Post

[re: TechServ] [link to this post]

Hello Techserv,

Forgive my limited knowledge on this. Usually it's as simple as plugging in the ethernet and it works. Have never messed with DHCP unless it was changing the default gateway,
I think i done what you recommended but can't access the internet using the Asus now (Don't think it's assigning me an ip address. I'm using "wireless router mode" on my Tp link as it auto configures WAN, whereas adsl router mode doesn't. Always assumed that was another name for bridge mode.

And from my knowledge, Asus doesn't have a dedicated WAN slot. An option did come up for bridge mode but no longer appears for some reason. It was under "wan connection type" Updated the firmware too.

Do those settings look right to you?

https://pasteboard.co/I0PPMHK.png TP-Link

https://pasteboard.co/I0PQ0LA.png Asus

https://pasteboard.co/I0PUZ1Ug.png Asus DHCP
Thank you

Edited by woodmass14 (Tue 12-Feb-19 15:41:39)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to