Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 01-Jan-11 16:37:00
Print Post

Internal HDD - the good, the bad, and the ugly?

[link to this post]

My XP Pro PC (new in March 2007) currently has a Maxtor 250Gb HDD (model STM3250820AS), partitioned for system & data. I also have 3 external drives, all with 250Gb Maxtor HDD units. I'm considering adding a 2nd internal drive to the PC, perhaps around 1Tb, for data and using the existing one as the system drive.

To be honest the Maxtor drives have never given me any problems, indeed I cannot recall ever having had HDD fails on PCs (mainframes yes, but that's another story!). What I'm not sure of these days is the pros and cons of various drives; as well as who owns who nowadays - though I know Maxtor are owned by Seagate.

In order of importance I'd put reliability, performance, then price.

Views and comments would be appreciated.

Tony
Standard User everhopeful
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 01-Jan-11 18:18:17
Print Post

Re: Internal HDD - the good, the bad, and the ugly?

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Avoid Samsung, my 1Tb disc started developing bad sectors when it was 6 months old and gave up the ghost totally after 9 months. I replaced it (3 months ago) with a 1Tb Western Digital which is quieter, quicker and cheaper than the Samsung ever was.
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Sat 01-Jan-11 18:21:41
Print Post

I prefer WD 10K drives personally. No problems from them.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - Quote this post and I'll sue.

report this link

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BipolarBear
(experienced) Sat 01-Jan-11 18:22:33
Print Post

is it still possible to buy maxtor drives? as you say, they were bought by seagate. hard drives are so cheap now it really only makes sense to go for the largest capacity available - which pretty much means either western digital or seagate. both are good brands, seagate had some reliability issues a while back but i think theyre ok now. both make 2TB 3 platter high-density models. i can also recommend the samsung spinpoint range, but i dont think they make a 2TB drive. for your setup i would recommend replacing all your 250GB drives with a single western digital caviar black 7200rpm 2TB drive. Make a 100GB partition for the o/s and the rest for data. While there are good arguments for having a separate physical o/s drive, i wouldnt bother unless you want to go ssd.

My Broadband Speed Test
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 01-Jan-11 19:11:41
Print Post

[re: BipolarBear] [link to this post]

I may have misunderstood you, but I can't see the benefits of replacing the 3 external 250Gb drives and the 250Gb internal drive by a single 1Tb internal drive.

The external drives are data backups, all containing copies of the same files (and not copied from one to the other), so giving me some redundancy should one of them fail.

The thinking behind adding another internal drive and using the existing one as the system drive is that I see no need for a system drive of greater than 250Gb. And adding a 1Tb internal drive gives me lots of room for data which is starting to grow fairly significantly.

[Edit: to correct my meaning]

Tony

Edited by cheshire_man (Sat 01-Jan-11 19:12:28)

Standard User BipolarBear
(experienced) Sat 01-Jan-11 19:36:24
Print Post

ok i see, the external drives are backup drives. fair enough. so get a 1TB internal drive, format 100GB for o/s and leave the rest for data. and get another 1TB drive for your backups (or more than 1 1TB drive if you want multiple copies). the less physical drives permanently attached, the less power draw, heat and noise. seriously, 1TB drives are dirt cheap now... ebuyer has samsung spinpoint F3 1TB drives for £43, or WD caviar green for £45.

I have a 2TB WD caviar green for data, and a 40GB corsair force SSD drive for boot and o/s. I also have 2 old 1TB samsung spinpoint F1 drives, and every 6 months or so (or whenever i can be bothered) I attach them and backup everything on the 2TB drive, then detach them and hide them somewhere away from the computer. thats my backup strategy, such as it is (well, at least I have one).

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Jan-11 20:08:33
Print Post

was about to say something similiar.

not only do the 2tb drives on the market have lower reliability rates, but if using that size I would be inclined to at the very least have them in raid5. one failure at that size would be very bad.
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Jan-11 21:21:23
Print Post

[re: BipolarBear] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, I'm tending now in the direction of a 1Tb HDD and partitioning it.

A couple of questions if I may.

My current HDD is a Maxtor STM3250820AS, this is shown here as SATA 3Gb/s. Without opening up my PC I don't know how it''s connected. The motherboard is Asrock 4CoreDual-VSTA which has 2 x SATA 1.5 Gb/s connectors and 2 x ATA133 IDE connectors (support 4 x IDE devices). I currently have 2 DVD drives installed.

How can I find out whether the current HDD is actually connected to a SATA connector, Belarc Advisor doesn't help in this respect?
What limitations does this motherboard impose on any HDD I may decide to buy and fit?

For example, would either this drive or this drive be suitable?

Thanks for reading this and helping me.

Tony
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Jan-11 16:30:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
Without opening up my PC I don't know how it''s connected.
Went into the BIOS and was able to see it was SATA connected. smile

Tony
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Jan-11 13:38:05
Print Post

I presume that your DVD drives are connected to the IDE port/s, since you got 2 IDE, it will support 4 IDE devices.

The Sata hard drive will connect to the sata ports, makes sense to be honest. The newer Sata 2 drives will work with the older Sata 1 boards, but at half the speed, some Satra 2 drives may need a jumper moved or be adjusted firmware wise by a boot CD. But most should be ok.

As for drive, I am very fond of Hitachi drives now, they are reliable, or seems to be. my 250Gb is 3 years now with no problems, but saying that my old Maxtors are 5 years old and still works, but Maxtor is not Maxtor any more, they are seagate and to be honest I don't like Seagate.

Anyway, a Sata 2 drive will work, but at a slower speed.

It seems strange that you already got a Sata 2 drive in your computer unless you replaced it your self.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to