Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(experienced) Tue 11-Jan-11 07:54:16
Print Post

iPod query

[link to this post]

I got this message from a friend but I know nothing about digital music players. Can anyone help?

I'm still trying to solve the problem of track-order on my MP3: that is, when I've ripped CDs on to the laptop, all in the correct order, they become jumbled when I synch them to my MP3. Very annoying, because it means different symphonies (for example) get mixed together. I've had a look on Google , tried the MP3 helpline, as well as juggling the procedures for transferring. Have you any ideas or would any of your forums be any help?

Advent laptop/Dell Inspiron 6000/Dell mini all using XP and 2Gb RAM
Dell Studio 15 with Win7 and 4Gb RAM
Belkin N router (cable) (VM 20Mb
Voyager 2100 via BT line (8Mb/s) as backup
BT Option 3 / Virgin cable 20Mbs
IE8 and OE6 (Live Mail with Win7)
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Jan-11 08:18:45
Print Post

Re: iPod query

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

If it is an iPod the problem could be iTunes related.
iTunes tries (and often fails) to sort files in some logical order.
The intention is to group files together by artist (or performer).
A side effect of this can often be a CD gets ripped but then split apart because not all tracks are performed by the same artist.
'Greatest hits' albums are particularly vulnerable as some tracks may be performed by the band/group/orchestra while others may be solo tracks (and get split apart from the rest).
Compilations can do the same thing.
iTunes also gets completely confused when albums have the same title.

The work-around is to view how the tracks look in iTunes before syncing with the iPod (viewing the list as "albums by artist").
Tracks can be moved around and grouped together, albums can be renamed (so there aren't duplicate names) and tracks can be moved from one "album" to another.
This is best done after each CD is ripped (because it's a pain in the butt when the iPod or iTunes folders is fully loaded).

If your friend doesn't have an iPod, and has another type of music player (he does, after all say "on my MP3"), it'll probably be how he's grouped the folders - if all tracks are in the same folder (on the MP3 player), the player itself will be trying to sort them. If you manually put them in separate folders the order will stay sensible.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Jan-11 10:15:55
Print Post

It's most likely to be the ID3 tags are missing. You can edit the manually using this for example http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spasch
(experienced) Tue 11-Jan-11 10:28:28
Print Post

I have seen this before, too..

Try using a decent MP3 ripper like Exact Audio Copy, a very good free MP3 ripper, which also inserts the tags correctly after pulling the information from FreeDB..
  Print Thread

Jump to