Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User michty_me
(newbie) Mon 24-Jan-11 15:10:48
Print Post

New CPU+Mobo or GPU upgrade?

[link to this post]

I have currently been looking at upgrading the computer. As it stands I have a ASUS P5Q SE Mobo with 4GB RAM, Intel core 2 duo E8300 processor, 8800GT GPU and I forgot which RAM (The good stuff anyway ). Currently running XP pro but just got hold of W7 and away to pick up an HD LED monitor.

I have noticed Dabs doing some great deals at the moment on quad core bundles but I'm not sure if they are worth upgrading over what I have.
My next thought was to just leave the mobo, processor etc as it is and change out the graphics card to something like the Geforce GTX 460 1GB as it seems to be getting good reviews. Not really wanting to spend a fortune on a card to be honest though. I sort of set my limit to £150.

So what are the recommendations? New CPU/mobo combo or GPU upgrade?
Standard User 4M2
(member) Mon 24-Jan-11 15:23:44
Print Post

Re: New CPU+Mobo or GPU upgrade?

[re: michty_me] [link to this post]

PSU wattage?
Standard User michty_me
(newbie) Mon 24-Jan-11 16:02:58
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Ok, I got a few things wrong on my initial post. Just found my inoice and this is what I have:

ASUS P5Q SE iP45
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz) 1333FSB 6MB L2 Cache
Samsung HD753LJ 750GB
OCZ 4GB Kit (2x2GB) 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Platinum Performance CL5
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Zotac 8800GT 512MB
Arctic Power 700W PSU

Hope that helps.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(member) Mon 24-Jan-11 16:25:55
Print Post

700W PSU is absolutely fine for the Geforce GTX 460 1GB. You should be able to get a Gigabyte (manufacturer’s name) model for just less than £150.

Edited by 4M2 (Mon 24-Jan-11 16:26:32)

Standard User michty_me
(newbie) Mon 24-Jan-11 16:43:15
Print Post

So would you recommend keeping my existing setup and just changing the GPU or buy a new motherboard, CPU, Ram etc and keep my existing 8800GT?

I was going to get the PNY GTX 460 from ebuyer for £125 delivered. I have also read that they give good results when clocked and still have headroom when done.

I've not looked into much computer parts lately so my knowledge is a bit outdated at the moment. I have had a quick look at the CPU benchmarks on some websites and the best quad setup didn't outperform the E8400 by that much, That's what made me think of getting the GPU.

Thanks for your help though smile
Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Mon 24-Jan-11 16:47:01
Print Post

This could be what you are looking for. http://preview.alturl.com/69frv

I have the 768 MB version and it is an excellent card (I upgraded from a gainward 8800 GT golden sample)

EVGA offers a 10 year warranty and has a 90 day upgrade offer so that if you want to get a better card in their range you can by paying the difference.

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
Standard User 4M2
(member) Mon 24-Jan-11 17:11:52
Print Post

I just like Gigabyte cards they run cool and almost silently - sometimes connecting up audio over hdmi can be a little tricky though...
Standard User michty_me
(newbie) Mon 24-Jan-11 17:12:21
Print Post

[re: kamelion] [link to this post]

Hi Kamelion. Thanks for the link. It gave me a 404 page error but went on the Scan website and searched the card. A little more expensive (Only a fraction so doesn't matter) I gather you were trying to link the EVGA GTX 460 1GB SC super 3800MHz card?

Would it be worth paying the extra £20 to get the Gainward GTX 460 GS GLH (4000MHz)??
Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Mon 24-Jan-11 17:16:46
Print Post

the evga card can clock really high plus that 10 year warranty is really reassuring. It's up to you though, its your money smile

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
Standard User michty_me
(newbie) Mon 24-Jan-11 17:21:42
Print Post

Sorry just noticed your reply too 4M2. I'm currently using a Roccat Kave 5.1 headset so will no doubt continue using that for my sound.

Hmm interesting! A 10 year warranty!! Could really be worth a good look at then.

So after all the talk of cards, I presume the choice would be leave the mobo,CPU etc as is and opt for this graphics card. Cheers folks laugh
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to