Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Jan-11 17:08:48
Print Post

Plain office-type keyboard sought

[link to this post]

For years when I was working I used a standard office keyboard - standard 105 key type.

I'm looking to get something similar for my home PC, I have absolutely no need for anything more than the standard 105 keys. No extra keys, functionality, whatever.

Last year my trusty Fujitsu keyboard died (multiple intake of crumbs and coffee didn't help) so I managed to get locally a Digital Corporation keyboard. Frankly though it's not very good, it rattles rather than taps when keys are hit, sometimes key presses don't register, basically compared to my Fujitsu it's a washout.

Any suggestions for such a keyboard? Clearly I could buy another Fujitsu one but I really would like to see and 'feel' a keyboard before buying so where could I do that?

Tony
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Jan-11 17:10:51
Print Post

Re: Plain office-type keyboard sought

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

PC World is a good place to go. Also, most Maplin stores have a selection on display.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Windows Vista Sir?"
"No thanks, I'd rather shove wasps up my nostrils!" .
Mick's Blog | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Jan-11 00:40:39
Print Post

As been said PC world normally have some on display, they did stop it here for a while, but they are back on display now, comet seems to lock their s away.

I like Logitech Keyboards, they do normal ones as well, they just feel good, even the cheaper ones.

The best keyboards used to be Cherry, but they used to be expensive, they seem to have gone into the cheap market now. i got a old Cherry Keyboard here, a old switch type, no membrane for that keyboard, At connection mind you and no windows key that was from t he days of Dos.

But have a look Logitech and see if Microsoft makes normal keyboards as their are pretty good as well.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tetsuo
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Feb-11 11:28:07
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

neither place has a great selection of peripherals, if the op is a touch typist its probably worth him getting either a Filco Majestouch or Topre Realforce they are a bit expensive though (especially the realforce)

Nick

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Feb-11 12:08:26
Print Post

Hi, if you can find one the IBM Model M keyboard is the best keyboard ever made, new they were originally priced at £250 each.

The one I am using right now is dated 1992 and I bought it brand-new back in 1994 for £63 you can find them on eBay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_M_keyboard

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=...

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Feb-11 12:57:33
Print Post

Hi, this Unicomp is the same as the model M 102 IBM keyboard I have with Buckling Spring key action and same keys layout UK English with detachable lead and PS/2 connection.

The one shown is French key layout http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/cu104ps2.html

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Thu 03-Feb-11 15:07:38)

Standard User Littleseen
(newbie) Mon 21-Feb-11 15:13:13
Print Post

I use an old Gateway keyboard and bought two spares (£2 each) at the same time, from a stallholder's oddments box at a pc fair about 5 years ago.

But even that is not a patch on the superb keyboard for my now-given-away BBC Acorn. I believe they are still available brandnew and that one vendor offers it ready-converted to work with a modern pc.

It is beyond me that no keyboard maker has not produced a keyboard for the huge number of us who type with two fingers and want good seperation between the keys with each successive tier raised well above the preceding lower one. Littleseen.

Obscurity is a comfortable cloak
  Print Thread

Jump to