Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 05-May-11 19:54:08
Print Post

is this speed correct

[link to this post]

my laptop( win 7) speed connected wirelessly to Netgear router (g ver) used to be download 6.5 mbps and upload .5 mbps ( with orange). Now it shows 12 mbps download and 0.9 mbps upload. Are these high speeds possible with my hardware. I have not noticed any appreciation in speed!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-May-11 20:02:30
Print Post

Re: is this speed correct

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Yes! It sounds as though you have been switched by Orange from 8 Meg IPStream or LLU to "up to 20 Meg" BT 21CN WBC, which they are in the process of doing. You should have received an email from them about "Improvements".

Post your router stats.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 05-May-11 23:33:02
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

many thanks for the reply. so what is the max speed of the "G" router can cope with?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-May-11 23:44:41
Print Post

54 Mbps total counting both directions; assume 27 Mbps each way if you are running your own local network.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 05-May-11 23:46:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
many thanks for the reply. so what is the max speed of the "G" router can cope with?

G can achieve 54 Mbps in a perfect environment - signal degradation, interference, noise, bi-directional traffic &c will all affect the speed though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to