Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User git
(member) Wed 18-May-11 20:22:34
Print Post

Where to get a laptop repaired?

[link to this post]

Need to get an Acer laptop fixed. The DC power connector has sunk inside the case, which appears to be a frequent problem on this model. Any reccomendations on places that will pick up, repair and return?

Thx.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Wed 18-May-11 20:26:48
Print Post

Re: Where to get a laptop repaired?

[re: git] [link to this post]

Why not DIY? Buy a torx screwdriver set and take it to bits!

Seriously, would a repair costing north of £50 be cost effective?
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-May-11 22:01:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by git:
Need to get an Acer laptop fixed. The DC power connector has sunk inside the case, which appears to be a frequent problem on this model. Any reccomendations on places that will pick up, repair and return?

What model is this? You won't need a torx set and if you're lucky, it will be a solder free job as the DC jack on some models is connected via a flying lead and plug.
Service manuals for Acers are pretty much freely available.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 18-May-11 22:32:08
Print Post

hi post modle of the laptop
Standard User GMAN98
(committed) Wed 18-May-11 23:32:05
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Agreed. Post up your model of laptop I've a load of Acer service manuals
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 19-May-11 01:27:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:
Service manuals for Acers are pretty much freely available.
That takes all the fun out of it frown

I changed a cracked display on an Acer with just a cross-head screwdriver and no manual... you just have to be careful to note which screw came from where, and check what rattles when you loosen it before removing it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User git
(member) Thu 19-May-11 19:34:17
Print Post

Thanks all. It's an extensa 5610. I already have the service manual, and the part number (although I'm not entirely confident this is accurate), and am quite prepared to do the job myself, however its not my laptop and im just laying out all the options for it's owner...
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-May-11 22:16:21
Print Post

I don't have the documents to hand but from memory, this model will require the use of suitable de/soldering tools and a complete stripdown to repair it. If you're happy with that, suitable DC sockets are available on eBay etc.

A good tip is that when stripping down, take photographs of the various stages so that you''ll have a reference when rebuilding. Also, lay out the screws etc to match their positions on a piece of card or similar.
Standard User git
(member) Fri 20-May-11 00:42:33
Print Post

Well... happy is a relative term... I've already taken a few bits and pieces off to try and get a visual on the bit concerned, and to be fair the service manual is clear, concise and accurate so ut doesnt seem too difficult...

Would rather not desolder, or resolder for that matter however given the cost of repair is probably going to mean it iswritten off if the repair is unsuccessfull or unattempted theres notagreat dealtolose sorry tea inmykey board.... gottodisco nnect it... anytips??

Thanks again.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Fri 20-May-11 07:02:37
Print Post

I understand the connector is just loose? How about some epoxy glue to hold it in place?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to