Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 20-Jun-11 12:18:18
Print Post

simple question about battery use

[link to this post]

I have been told by friends that on a laptop once the battery is fully charged, one ought to run the laptop on battery till it discharges.I tend to leave the laptop on mains ( even when battery is fully charged), till I have to move the laptop to a different place/ room. Any views on this please!!
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Jun-11 12:28:25
Print Post

Re: simple question about battery use

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

You have been misinformed. Modern batteries are not at all keen on being fully discharged, and this can significantly affect their working life. (They're not too keen on being overcharged either.) The best practice is to keep them topped up, don't let them discharge fully, but don't keep them on charge once fully charged.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 20-Jun-11 12:31:42
Print Post

I tend to leave mine on mains most of the time but use it on batteries once a week for an hour or so, just so that I know the batteries still work!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 20-Jun-11 12:36:59
Print Post

The main killer for modern laptop batteries is heat.

If you normally use it on the mains, unless you need the battery to handle a power cut it's often recommended to take it out. Ideally put it in the fridge, but that may be a bit OTT tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed

Edited by billford (Mon 20-Jun-11 12:38:13)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 20-Jun-11 12:59:49
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
You have been misinformed. Modern batteries are not at all keen on being fully discharged, and this can significantly affect their working life. (They're not too keen on being overcharged either.) The best practice is to keep them topped up, don't let them discharge fully, but don't keep them on charge once fully charged.
No quarrel with that, except to say that the control circuitry in the battery pack should prevent over-charge.

One point, more or less on topic, is that if the batteries don't occasionally go into deep discharge the "how long left" calculations get a bit fictional.

For Apple laptops, if the accuracy of that calculation is important they suggest it's "re-calibrated" occasionally (every few months) by running the battery completely flat (ie use it until the computer goes into hibernate mode, then leave it for a few more hours) before re-charging.

I'd imagine the same applies to PC laptops, they're much the same batteries.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Jun-11 19:37:36
Print Post

My Samsung Netbook has a Battery Life Extender" option which, when set, only charges the battery to 80% when left on mains.

So, leaving the battery on charge, when fully charged does not seem to be a good idea.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
  Print Thread

Jump to