Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User craigglawson
(regular) Mon 27-Jun-11 22:37:02
Print Post

New PC + SSD

[link to this post]

I'm considering upgrading my PC that I have at home with the following:

Novatech Motherboard Bundle

I'll be buying the components seperately as I'm not paying £50 to have it all put together when I'm perfectly competent!

Just need help with the SSD... I know the benefit of it being much faster than standard platter-based drives, but wondered if there were any other benefits and any drawbacks?
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 27-Jun-11 22:50:40
Print Post

Re: New PC + SSD

[re: craigglawson] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by craigglawson:
I'm considering upgrading my PC that I have at home with the following:

Novatech Motherboard Bundle

I'll be buying the components seperately as I'm not paying £50 to have it all put together when I'm perfectly competent!

Just need help with the SSD... I know the benefit of it being much faster than standard platter-based drives, but wondered if there were any other benefits and any drawbacks?

At that price level I'd pay the extra £50 to have assurance/insurance that it works. No idea about SSD.
Standard User Zadeks
(member) Mon 27-Jun-11 23:18:20
Print Post

Nice bundle. overclockers.co.uk is 14 quid cheaper.

Which SSD are you getting?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Tue 28-Jun-11 00:09:35
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

If I buy the components from Amazon, it's £50 cheaper, not entirely sure how.

Assurance or insurance against it actually working, not really as I'd be picking the exact same parts as they're putting in their bundle.

I'm considering this SSD.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 28-Jun-11 00:14:15
Print Post

Assurance or insurance against it actually working, not really as I'd be picking the exact same parts as they're putting in their bundle.
If they put it together and it doesn't work they'll just try another bit out of the bin until it does.

If you put it together and it doesn't work you've got delay and aggro.

Whether that's worth £50 is your decision... I'd probably take the chance and just get the bits as well tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Tue 28-Jun-11 00:16:32
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Just thinking on it, even if it takes them 2 hours to build, test and pack the bundle, that's £25 an hour... I'm in the wrong job!!!
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 28-Jun-11 00:22:44
Print Post

I'm in the wrong job!!!
I think that's something we've all decided at some point in our lives crazy

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jun-11 06:53:29
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

£25 per hour for a PC mechanic sounds pretty cheap to me. Think what garages, plumbers, electricians, just about anyone else charges.
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jun-11 08:44:53
Print Post

I have an SSD in my laptop. The most noticeable performance boost is in the booting.. A fresh install of Win 7 64bit takes around 27 seconds (this is on an old Core 2 Duo, not one of the new i5/7 chips), excluding the POST (about 8 seconds).. Also, application loading is substanstially faster..
Standard User gmoorc
(member) Tue 28-Jun-11 09:03:38
Print Post

If you are interested in video work/encoding it would be worth getting a Z68 board which will let you utilise the on chip graphics/sandybridge acceleration.

You could also use a cheaper H67 board but as you are getting a K chip I guess you want to overclock which you wont be able to do with that chipset.

As far as I can tell the main chipset differences are :

H67 = On chip graphics
P67 = Overclock with multiplier
Z68 = On chip graphics + overclock with multiplier

Re the SSD I have had one as a boot drive for a while now and not noticed any problems. I do struggle with only 60GB though. Even just using it as a boot drive for W7.
Wouldn't do without one now as the user experience is so much better in my opinion. It's just 'nice' that programs open instantly smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to