Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 28-Jun-11 14:22:02
Print Post

New Laptop from USA

[link to this post]

Hi guys

I am in the process of buying a laptop (as a present) for my nephew in the UK from the US and this is what I am currently looking at. He is starting work after college and promised him one. Is this any good for that money or can I get a better one and more importantly will this work in the UK.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E...

Thank you.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 28-Jun-11 14:45:37
Print Post

Re: New Laptop from USA

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I assume you are in the USA.
A quick google search shows you can buy a UK spec of this model, cheaper in the UK.
I would prefer to get the money. But I don't have such a generous uncle'
wink
Standard User ggremlin
(member) Tue 28-Jun-11 14:48:10
Print Post

will this work in the UK.

it would have a US keyboard,
you would need to change the mains power lead (possibly the whole charger but unlikely)
wifi channels would need to be changed to UK/europe
warranty would be US only.
shipping might be costly

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 28-Jun-11 14:50:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Hi guys

I am in the process of buying a laptop (as a present) for my nephew in the UK from the US and this is what I am currently looking at. He is starting work after college and promised him one. Is this any good for that money or can I get a better one and more importantly will this work in the UK.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E...

Thank you.

Add 20% VAT to the price, along with any duty to be paid.

Warranty will be difficult to exercise.

Is the Power adapter a 100-250V 50-60Hz or a 100-120V 60Hz unit? Experience of US sourced equipment is that the Power Supply may need to be replaced and as a minimum there will be a new power cord required.

The keyboard will be a US keyboard so certain characters will be missing and others in different places - it will then become even more confusing when a set of UK keyboard drivers is installed as key will not perform as expected.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User G3UZF
(member) Wed 29-Jun-11 11:58:10
Print Post

I have an Acer Aspire (not your model) with 17" screen. Only thing I can say is that is rather heavy if you need to lug it around. However, being elderly, I need the larger screen to see things well.

Wife has a Dell Insperon (bought as reconditioned about 4 years ago). Can't tell it from brand new and came with a 2 year home visit warranty.

The replies about a US PC in the UK with Power, Duty, VAT and warranty are real concerns.

One upside, my Acer PSU is 110 - 240 V 50 / 60Hz.

Good Luck

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User G3UZF
(member) Wed 29-Jun-11 12:11:19
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

Sorry, forgot to add...

The navigation of a US Keyboard can be a slight pain. Although a QWERTY layout, the £, $, # and other keys are in different places.

I was in an Internet Cafe in Egypt recently; took me ages to find the @ key to log into my e-mail account!

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User ggremlin
(member) Thu 30-Jun-11 01:16:49
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

its some time ago, when an apple machine (original imac I think!) was being launched,
I was in france at a tech show,and they had free (promotional) internet access: machine had azerty, but some (other) geek had set it to qwerty - fortunately I can touch type...
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 30-Jun-11 01:24:36
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

You can't beat the one-finger "hunt and peck" method of typing- then it doesn't really matter what the keyboard layout is smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Thu 30-Jun-11 08:18:07
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Until you use a strange keyboard, which has some key labels indicating that key may be persuaded (possibly) to give certain symbols (especially @ , / and \) for which you don't know the combination required - I've had this in Spain.

Derek
Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 30-Jun-11 08:28:30
Print Post

He would be better off buying a laptop himself when in the UK. He'd then have a relatively easily enforceable guarantee and all the proper power cords.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to