Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User smiffy12
(committed) Thu 30-Jun-11 10:18:57
Print Post

Network Storage Help

[link to this post]

Hi, I'm building a new pc for my parents. Thye have a zillion photographs that they want to keep on the machine and keep them safely. As the current number of photos is seriously impacting on the computer performance, I've been thinking that the best option would be to make all docs and photos etc available on network storage.

I'm looking at buying a ReadyNAS dup, putting in two x 2TB hdds running as Raid 1 and then having a USB external harddrive to create an independent back up of the NAS. Does this sound reasonable or if not would you have any other thoughts? Speed is not so essential as long as the pc isn't affected by indexing of major amounts of photos as it currently is, although reliability and back up (data safety) is paramount. What do you think of my plan and it might be that there's a better way to do this, or even better kit?

I hope for any and all suggestions. TYVM everyone for any help.
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jun-11 10:32:36
Print Post

Re: Network Storage Help

[re: smiffy12] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by smiffy12:
Speed is not so essential as long as the PC isn't affected by indexing of major amounts of photos as it currently is

It is the indexing which is slowing down the computer - not the fact that the 'photos are on a local drive.

Moving the 'photos to a NAS drive will only make things worse if you stick to the same indexing.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User xon
(experienced) Thu 30-Jun-11 15:23:25
Print Post

Might be worth reflecting on internet based rather than local storage solutions.

coolGo with the flowcool

xoff

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User git
(committed) Thu 30-Jun-11 15:28:37
Print Post

Interent service. I don't know about others but smugmug hold your photos on servers in 2 geographically distinct locations. Coupled with 2 dvd burn copies of my own andI think I'm relatively well covered...
  Print Thread

Jump to