Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Fri 01-Jul-11 10:01:20
Print Post

Netbook - worth buying a Google Chromebook?

[link to this post]

Samsung will release the first Google netbook called Chromebook very soon. Now i know they seem to be quite expensive for a netbook (>£350) but i'm sure prices will come down rapidly if/once other manufacturers get in on the act. I'm very tempted to buy one for the missus primarily because of the free 3G internet access you get when out and about (via 3 network) and also the long battery life ~ 8 hrs. I currently use Chrome browser and i love it for its speed and features, so definitely tempted to go for the chromebook. I know everything runs inside the browser on the chromebook. What do others think?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_link_160294287_1?i...

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 17612/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 3.3 db down / 12db up
Powered by Billion BiPAC 7800N
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 01-Jul-11 10:21:52
Print Post

Re: Netbook - worth buying a Google Chromebook?

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

depends on use. If it's always at home and only used for web based stuff it'll be fine.

Printing needs a cloud based solution ie cloud-aware HP printer or another box running a printer hooked to Google's cloud print service.

I love the secure by design operating system, the lack of Microsoft and the build quality is reportedly good. It's a premium product because it comes without Windows !

The 3G might be free for an introductory period say 3 months but I'm not clear after that.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 01-Jul-11 10:27:02
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

"Secure by design", "Google" and "cloud" all in the same reference? I'll reserve judgement for a while tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 01-Jul-11 10:50:09
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

the operating system is secure by design, it's a digitally signed OS on an encrypted SSD and it boots back to the same clean state each time.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Fri 01-Jul-11 13:25:46
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I like this:

Worried about safety and security? Fear not. The Chromebook is actually a lot safer to use than an ordinary computer. It's designed to keep your browser secure and protected against the bad things, like malware and viruses, that are out there on the web.

Every time you boot your Chromebook, it does a self check called a "verified boot." If it detects that your computer or OS has been tampered with or corrupted, the operating system is typically restored automatically from a known good backup. And if a backup is unavailable on your computer, you can download one yourself from the cloud. Best of all: your Chromebook does all this on its own so you don't have to worry about it.

The Samsung chromebook appears to get good user reviews here and battery life really does appear to be 8 hours. But can you run apps like Skype or MSN messenger with webcam?

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 17612/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 3.3 db down / 12db up