Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User OCdragon
(committed) Mon 11-Jul-11 09:44:34
Print Post

"Replacement Keyboard" to repair my HP Compaq 615 Keyboard?

[link to this post]

My daughter's Compaq 615 Keyboard has a "broken" key, i.e. the tip of plastic key has come out, and I tried to glue it back on using super glue or Epox glue without success. I have found this possible "compatible Compaq 615 keyboard: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HP-Compaq-511-515-516-610-615-... in Ebay.
I also found out that my 615 laptop has 2 fixing screws, indicated with "keyboard signs" by HP underneath it. So my question is would I be able to replace my broken 615 keyboard with this Ebay's equivalent counterpart and has anyone back here has done it at all?? By the way both replacement and my 615 keyboards seemed to have some "clicks" around their edges, which mean they may need to un-click in order to get the keyboard fitted or unfitted.

Many thanks or your comments

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows XP Pro

O2 Standard ADSL2+ Broadband!
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Jul-11 09:51:53
Print Post

Re: "Replacement Keyboard" to repair my HP Compaq 615 Keyboa

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

You can buy individual key caps - e.g. www.laptopkeys.co.uk - probably the simplest solution

__________________________________________________________________________________________
“Hollywood is like life, you face it with the sum total of your equipment.” -- Joan Crawford
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Mon 11-Jul-11 10:09:45
Print Post

see hp/compaq web site, it has many very useful 'service manuals'

Compaq 615 Notebook PC - Removing and Replacing Keyboard
(they even have a video)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Doc...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User OCdragon
(committed) Mon 11-Jul-11 11:07:24
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Thank you for your suggestion. I have been to that web site this morning and I couldn't find the Compaq 615 model I wanted. Worse of all their nearest suggested replacement part (even followed their recommended "selection procedures" ) did not look like the broken one I got. So I gave up and would tend to go for a complete replacement, compatible, keyboard to be save. I have reviewed and even seen the HP's Compaq 615 keyboard replacement guides and video, and I think that I can handle it myself as I have had some electronics background!
Many thanks and others

Standard User OCdragon
(committed) Mon 11-Jul-11 11:11:29
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

Thank your for your useful suggestion! I have seen both the HP Compaq 615 Keyboard replacement guides and even their corresponding video, and have decided to go for that.
Many thanks for making my life much easier!!!

Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 11-Jul-11 14:32:15
Print Post

I too enthusiastically cleaned my hp laptop and lost a key. I discovered it would be almost as expensive to replace the one key as to get a new keyboard.

So I bought a new keyboard (inc P&P) from http://shop.ebay.co.uk/laptopsparesshop/ for £10.98.

The keyboard is relatively easy to change.
Standard User BP1
(committed) Mon 11-Jul-11 16:27:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by OCdragon:
My daughter's Compaq 615 Keyboard has a "broken" key, i.e. the tip of plastic key has come out, and I tried to glue it back on using super glue or Epox glue without success. I have found this possible "compatible Compaq 615 keyboard: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HP-Compaq-511-515-516-610-615-... in Ebay.
I also found out that my 615 laptop has 2 fixing screws, indicated with "keyboard signs" by HP underneath it. So my question is would I be able to replace my broken 615 keyboard with this Ebay's equivalent counterpart and has anyone back here has done it at all?? By the way both replacement and my 615 keyboards seemed to have some "clicks" around their edges, which mean they may need to un-click in order to get the keyboard fitted or unfitted.

Many thanks or your comments

I replaced 2 HP laptop keyboards. One had broken keys the other had some coffe go into it. I also bought the keyboards from ebay which were very cheap. It was faily easy to do. The youtube videos were a great help. I still use the HP laptop which had the coffe spill in it.

Just make sure or get advice from the seller that the keyboard will be compatible with your laptop.

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

"When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
Standard User OCdragon
(committed) Tue 12-Jul-11 09:36:36
Print Post

[re: BP1] [link to this post]

Thank you guys, I have watched the corresponding HP's Keyboard Removal/Replacement video and I am feeling happy with it now! As such I have placed my order in Ebay for a compatible NEW keyboard to be shipped to me so that I can replace it myself when it has arrived. I do agree with you that I don't feel "cost effective/worthwhile" of just replacing the Key Cap only, which could cost 1 to 2 UK Pounds. Also replacing my whole keyboard, instead of just the associated Key Cap, would give me some Spare Key-Caps to play with in the future just in case!!

Edited by OCdragon (Tue 12-Jul-11 09:40:42)

Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Jul-11 10:49:30
Print Post

You could always sell the spare keycaps on eBay. Recoup your outlay.
  Print Thread

Jump to