Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Jul-11 07:45:28
Print Post

Recover lost disc partition

[link to this post]

My son in Kent (long way from me) has 2 HDDs in his PC. It seems that the second one (not the one containing the C: drive) has suffered a problem. It's partitioned into 2 drives and one of them has 'disappeared'. The other is apparently OK.

Could it be a partition table problem?

Is there any software or similar, preferably free, that could help him to view the partition table and repair it?

Tony
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 17-Jul-11 09:09:37
Print Post

Re: Recover lost disc partition

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

http://www.ubcd4win.com/ (probably) and any Linux installation CD would allow him to view and correct the partition table. I assume he remembers the size of the partition(s).

Fixing the partition table is necessary but may not be sufficient to recover the data on the "missing" partition.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 17-Jul-11 11:25:49
Print Post

I've used @ctive Partition Recovery a few times when other products wouldn't work. It's not free if you want a non-demo version but you can download the free demo, see if it finds enough to recover, and pay if it does.

http://www.partition-recovery.com/

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Jul-11 13:39:33
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Recuva is free and can recover the files from lost partitions. There is also testdisk, which is commandline, but slightly more powerful.
Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Jul-11 16:05:34
Print Post

Thanks for these replies smile. I've passed the information to him. See what the outcome is.

Tony
  Print Thread

Jump to