Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Jul-11 20:25:36
Print Post

How much did you say that PC was?!

[link to this post]

I was in our local PC shop today and chatting to one of the staff who builds the PCs for the customers. He told me of one he'd recently built which had cost the buyer just short of £6,000.

I don't know all the details, but he mentioned 24Gb of RAM, 2 x 1.5 Gb graphics cards, water cooling, overclocked i7 CPU running at 4.2Ghz, 1.5Kw power supply, I think there was something around 5 or 6 Tb of HDD. Don't know mother board or sound setup. All running Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit.

It booted up pretty quickly.

Apparently being used for heavy video work.

I bet Solitaire finishes quickly on that! grin

Tony
Standard User trolleybus
(learned) Mon 18-Jul-11 21:02:14
Print Post

Re: How much did you say that PC was?!

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Well that's something to spend a lottery win on!

But of course if you had such a lovely PC, and a bank balance to match, you would be hardly jumping for joy if your bandwidth was sub 2Mb. Which raises the question, could you actually get 40Mb, or more, no matter where your pad was by paying what ever it takes?
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jul-11 21:06:16
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

wut

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 18-Jul-11 21:20:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
Well that's something to spend a lottery win on!

But of course if you had such a lovely PC, and a bank balance to match, you would be hardly jumping for joy if your bandwidth was sub 2Mb. Which raises the question, could you actually get 40Mb, or more, no matter where your pad was by paying what ever it takes?
As they say money talks, yeah no reason why you could not get some company to install fibre to your pad, back to the exchange or pop as money would not be a barrier
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jul-11 21:29:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
I was in our local PC shop today and chatting to one of the staff who builds the PCs for the customers. He told me of one he'd recently built which had cost the buyer just short of £6,000.

I don't know all the details, but he mentioned 24Gb of RAM, 2 x 1.5 Gb graphics cards, water cooling, overclocked i7 CPU running at 4.2Ghz, 1.5Kw power supply, I think there was something around 5 or 6 Tb of HDD. Don't know mother board or sound setup. All running Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit.

It booted up pretty quickly.

Apparently being used for heavy video work.

I bet Solitaire finishes quickly on that! grin

Certainly a lot of money - what I find peculiar is someone has got a local PC shop to do it rather than Dell/Alienware/whatever. Those sorts of money I'd rather someone like that build it than my local PC shop (that is providing I cba doing it myself), just in case!

(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Jul-11 21:57:52
Print Post

Perhaps it was never intended to be permanently connected to the Internet, not all systems are.

Tony
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 18-Jul-11 23:07:49
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Some people prefer the local option, in case of problems.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Jul-11 23:06:09
Print Post

that is a overkill even for heavy video work unless it is being used for broadcasting.

i built a machine last year for just over 3 grand for video editing and that was using Avid and Vegas. It was not for me mind you.

The person I built it for does hell of a lot of editing, but he is complaining he needs more storage space smile

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Jul-11 00:57:29
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
that is a overkill even for heavy video work unless it is being used for broadcasting.

To be fair surely you have no way of telling whether that is overkill or not... What if person in question is photoshopping extreme resolution images and does not want noticable delays.... this is going to use up *all* the computing power than can be thrown at it... Admittedly, those resources being used up might not be being used in the most efficient manner (especially if we are talking about Adobe products), but the person might not have a choice!

Edited by Pipexer (Fri 29-Jul-11 01:01:06)

Print Thread

Jump to