Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User slippyjim
(experienced) Tue 26-Jul-11 02:22:30
Print Post

RAID troubles

[link to this post]

Hiya,

I have a desktop PC with 2 750GB Seagate sata HDDs in a stripe RAID array, one day it BSOD'd and ever since has refused to boot. I have just scanned the 1st drive for bad sectors using Partition Table Doctor and it was fine but the 2nd drive has 9 bad setors right at the start of the drive.

Obviously I need to replace both drives in the RAID array but i need to recover some files from the HDD's, first of all is this possible and what is the easiest way?
Can I simple connect them upto another PC and rereate the RAID array?
Or am I best to run the Seagate tools over the faulty hard drive and then put both drives back in the original PC?

Thanks,
Steve
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Jul-11 03:42:03
Print Post

Re: RAID troubles

[re: slippyjim] [link to this post]

If you're using RAID0, you might be out of luck if the array is damaged or corrupt as the data is split between both drives. Due to how RAID0 data is written to disk, if one fails or becomes damaged the chance of getting data from it is slim.

Would always recommend RAID1 at least for any kind of restoration in case of drive failure/loss.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User Zadeks
(member) Tue 26-Jul-11 07:04:22
Print Post

Motherboard RAID?

http://www.runtime.org/raid.htm might help.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User slippyjim
(experienced) Tue 26-Jul-11 21:42:02
Print Post

Thanks for the info
At the mo I have removed both drives and am installing Windows onto another HDD, then Im going to put the original 2 back in as the RAID and see if the new windows can read it or not, fingers crossed.

It is a RocketRAID 174x controller. I presume it is a separate card, it is not easy to tell as it is a all in one portable PC and not easy to see how it comes apart. The motherboard is an Asus Striker 2 Formula which has onboard Nvidia RAID but that is definitely not being used.
Standard User slippyjim
(experienced) Tue 26-Jul-11 22:08:38
Print Post

It worked!!!
Installed Windows 7, put RAID drives back in and I can see al the files no probs, just got to back up almost 1TB now.....
  Print Thread

Jump to