Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Shielder
(experienced) Tue 02-Aug-11 09:33:09
Print Post

Dead PC - poss Mobo issue?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I replaced my Gigabyte X38 motherboard in December last year after having a run of problems with my computer turning on and off constantly. (Turns out it may have been the memory)

Now, the replacement motherboard, an ASROCK P43DE, seems to have died as well. I thought it may be the memory again (Corsair 2GB sticks) but when I took the memory out, it still just turned on the fans (at full chat too!) but didn't beep cos of no memory. (Bizarrely, I turned it on for the hell of it this morning, and it gave me the memory missing beeps from POST!)

So, to summarise, the machine didn't turn on (apart from the fans) with and without memory installed, yet this morning, it beeped at me due to no memory.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Should I try my old X38 mobo in it's place? I really can't afford to buy a new motherboard again.

TIA

Andy

The Joshua Tree Holiday House and Support Centre for Courageous Kids and their Families.

Going for a world record in 15th - 22nd October: most coins collected in a week for charity.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 02-Aug-11 09:53:30
Print Post

Re: Dead PC - poss Mobo issue?

[re: Shielder] [link to this post]

Can you post the full spec (including PSU) please and if it is set to stock speeds?

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM ~ Connection Data
Standard User Shielder
(experienced) Tue 02-Aug-11 12:00:26
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Intel Core 2 Quad 6600
Innovision 8800GTS 512MB
4xSATA HDD
2xoptical drives
4GB Corsair memory (XMMS I think, it has gold heat spreaders anyway).
Noctua NH-U12P HSF
525W Enermax Pro 82+ PSU (new in December)
ASROCK P43DE mobo, also new in December.

Thanks

Andy

The Joshua Tree Holiday House and Support Centre for Courageous Kids and their Families.

Going for a world record in 15th - 22nd October: most coins collected in a week for charity.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 02-Aug-11 12:57:02
Print Post

If you can get it running with the memory, try testing it with http://www.memtest.org/

If not, suggest you find some other memory which will help eliminate the memory from the equation. Are your memory voltages set in the BIOS, and can you get to the BIOS with the memory? If so, it might be worth loading the failsafe BIOS (if offered) to see if that works.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Standard User Shielder
(experienced) Tue 02-Aug-11 15:30:04
Print Post

I can't even get to the BIOS when it doesn't turn on. I'll see if I have time to work on it tonight. Luckily, I backed it up this weekend, so I shouldn't have lost too much data if it has gone T's up.

Everything is set at stock values, I've not messed with it at all. I am definately thinking it is the mobo, not the memory. When the memory failed last time, the system would boot up for a few seconds and then die, repeatedly. It wasn't until I reduced the memory on the system from 8GB to 4GB that it worked, leading me to assume that it was a memory problem.

Andy

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 02-Aug-11 16:37:01
Print Post

Hmm.

You really need to suss out the memory. Know anyone that can try your memory or do a temporary swap for testing? Other things I'm guessing at (in hope) would be the CMOS battery. Generally things either work or they don't. Intermittant problems tend to be due to (but are not limited to) removable parts.

It might even be a power issue, but the odds are less if that's a new part too. A bare bones power up might yield a result.

Perhaps give the memory contacts a wipe with an isopropyl swab and try alternating the sticks in the various options. First swap them. If no joy, try them in the alternate slots (see your manual). Failing that, swap them in the alternate slots. That will at least remove the RAM slots from the equation.

If the memory is one of the common parts between the two failed mobos, it's the more likely suspect.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Standard User Shielder
(experienced) Wed 03-Aug-11 10:02:50
Print Post

Well, it does indeed look like this memory may be faulty. I put the memory back in and the system didn't POST, it just spun the fans.

I'll be doing more investigation tonight, but I think it may be the memory not the mobo.

Any recommendations for 2GB DDR2 sticks around (I was thinking about getting 4GB sticks, but they're horrendously expensive).

Andy

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 03-Aug-11 12:50:39
Print Post

Perhaps?

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Aug-11 16:24:42
Print Post

I've used Orca Logic on a number of occasions and have never had a problem. 2Gb DDR2 800 are £26.99 here.

Tony
Standard User lenaspell
(committed) Wed 03-Aug-11 17:00:29
Print Post

I have found Crucial to be good as well as Corsair

Len

Zen Fibre Active. Router Netgear N300 WNR2000.
Windows 7 Pro 64bit and iMac 9.1 and MacBook both running Snow Leopard smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to