Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User slippyjim
(experienced) Thu 11-Aug-11 17:33:47
Print Post

SSD help please I am so confused!!

[link to this post]

Hiya,

I have decided to upgrade to SSDs but now I have started reading about them I am so confused.

My PC has a RocketRaid 174x Sata II Controller (approx 2006) so at first I was going to do a RAID 0 array but then I have been reading about TRIM and I do not my RAID controller will support TRIM.
So am I best going for one large SSD and using TRIM
or
2 smaller SSDs in RAID 0 and forgoing TRIM?

Thanks,
Steve
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Aug-11 19:33:49
Print Post

Re: SSD help please I am so confused!!

[re: slippyjim] [link to this post]

This article is a bit out-of-date I'd imagine, but worth a read: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2738

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Aug-11 23:30:25
Print Post

There is no trim support with raid in windows 7.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User slippyjim
(experienced) Sun 14-Aug-11 20:30:45
Print Post

[re: petsy] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies, Ive read most of that article

I have been in contact with the manufacturer of the RAID card and they say it does not support TRIM.
So is it even worth considering SSDs or are there other options? I have read something about SSDs having built in Garbage Collection can this replace TRIM?
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Aug-11 09:24:36
Print Post

I take it your computer have not got built in Sata then? i wondering why you want raid.

i got a SSD and I think it is great,r eally fast, but not sure if it is worth the price.

What I did get before was a Seagate Monentus Xt drive, this is a 500Gb 2.5 inch drive with 4Gb of SSD memory. It cost about £80.

It was and still is a fast drive, but I had problems with it, which is why it is now a second drive. If seagate can sort out the problems then it is a great idea and and is a good step between a normal drive and a SSD.

the problem I had was it kept shutting down, so my computer would crash, either a BSD or just bits of software would fail. Other people had the same problem. But just before i had my SSD unit I solved the problem, i stuck a jumper on the pins of the drive, which shuts down the power management of the drive and it became stable.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User slippyjim
(experienced) Mon 15-Aug-11 11:25:57
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

It is a clients ACME portable PC, it does have onboard SATA as well (Asus Stryker 2 mobo) but am unsure as to how to get into the actual motherboard to change the connections over if necessary

He just wants the PC to be as fast as possible as he uses it for 3D graphics. He has a normal HDD for storage so SSDs seem the best way to go.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Aug-11 11:39:33
Print Post

If high-speed 3D graphics is the objective, are you certain that an SSD is what is needed? How much poke do the CPU, memory and graphics adapter have? Why not post the full system spec?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
“Hollywood is like life, you face it with the sum total of your equipment.” -- Joan Crawford
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User Zadeks
(member) Mon 15-Aug-11 11:41:18
Print Post

Go single SSD.
Standard User clmfsh
(experienced) Mon 15-Aug-11 13:01:37
Print Post

It was and still is a fast drive, but I had problems with it, which is why it is now a second drive. If seagate can sort out the problems then it is a great idea and and is a good step between a normal drive and a SSD.

There is new firmware, SD25 which resolves that problem.
Standard User clmfsh
(experienced) Mon 15-Aug-11 13:06:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
i stuck a jumper on the pins of the drive, which shuts down the power management of the drive and it became stable.

I am interested to know which pins you jumpered, there is only one reference to jumpering which forces the drive into SATA1 mode.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to